CHAPTER 20

“Susan is dead! She gave up the ghost an hour ago.” Nora said over the phone and Chiamaka out of shock, dropped her phone. She frozed, while staring at Davis, with tears forming up in her eyes, “Hello, Chiamaka are you there? Hello?” Nora's voice was still heard, calling out to Chiamaka but the shock was too much, that she could not have her self say a word talk more of picking up her fallen phone.

Thank God, she was not standing, else her phone could have reached the ground. The news was not expected! What was really going on? Why was there too many events in Chiamaka life at once? Her tears began to roll down her cheeks. Susan had hurt her but she can not wish premature death to even her enemy. She was sure Susan have not reached her late fourties.

Davis who got to notice Chiamaka's reaction after her phone call, feared she might be charmed by the evil people that calls people and invoke their spirits out of the body.

“Chiamaka, what is the problem? What happened? Why are you in such a state? Chiamaka say something to me, you are scaring the hell out of me!” Davis shook Chiamaka and the only thing she did was to look at him, while still crying. Davis was confused!

“Susan is dead!” Chiamaka burst out crying and then held Davis close to herself, like a sad little girl would do.

“Sorry about that and what do you plan to do now?” Davis asked and as if Chiamaka realized herself, she let go of Davis.

“I have to hurry to the hospital!” Chiamaka and stood up from the bed she laid on.

“Are you sure you want to go there?” Davis asked as he watched Chiamaka take off her clothes.

“Yes, I need to be there nah. I know she hurt me alot and broke my trust but I still have to respect the fact we were once tight friends, though she acted. Irrespective of what she did, at least she confessed to me and also dropped an address I can use to track my son. What if she did not? Davis for that alone, I am grateful to her.” Chiamaka replied, putting on a new dress.

“I totally understand and respect your choice, but are you not going to bath instead of changing like that.” Davis asked and Chiamaka stopped locking her dress zip, then turned her gaze at Davis.

“Do I stink?” Chiamaka asked.

“Not at all! I know you to always have your bath before going out, so I was surprised, that is all.” Davis replied, honestly.

“I do not have time to waste nah, you should understand. I have to meet them at the hospital at least. I need to know how we are going to bury her or even still, get in contact with her relatives.” Chiamaka continued with her dressing.

“Okay love. I will prepare dinner before you return.” Davis relaxed his head on the pillows, still staring at Chiamaka.

“Follow me nah.” Chiamaka suggested and Davis smiled.

“You know I can not just stay in the mist of half naked, crying ladies. That is a full temptation to me, having one cry baby is okay. Is not when i'm petting you, another lady will be looking at me to do same to her. Chai, pity me. No offense!” Davis said with a smile and Chiamaka then threw her lip stick at him, “Ouch!” Davis exclaimed when the lip stick hit his arm.

“Savage!” Chiamaka called Davis before she left the room.

Chiamaka arrived at the hospital and met with the other ladies. They wore sad faces.

“Who was with her when she died?” Chiamaka asked Chidinma who stood next to her. She was anxious to know if Chiamaka died under no one's care. None of the girls she stayed with, claimed to be with Susan when she died.

“Ah, me no know oh! I bin dey house when they call me say Susan don go join her ancestors. But I think say, e fit be Patricia. I talk so because, nah she call us and as we reach here, na so we see only her. Me self no understand wenti dey sup. The only thing way dey pain me be say, I go miss her!” Chidinma replied as she took another mouth full of whiskey. The way Chidinma drank the alcohol direct from bottle, made Chiamaka believe that Chidinma was truly depressed.

“But where is Patricia self? The only time I set my eyes on her was when I entered the hospital. She was talking with a doctor.” Chiamaka said.

“I been see her that time too!” Chidinma took another mouthfull and groaned. It was against the hospital rules to drink alcohol but who would notice? Chidinma was smart enough to pour the whiskey in a La Casera plastic bottle. “No be see be that? See am there! I no even know who she dey quarrel with. You sure say no be her client she dey try avoid?” Chidinma said in a funny tone, as she relaxed back on her seat and pointed out the direction where Patricia was seen quarreling with an average aged man. He looked like one in his late fifties or even in his early sixties.

Chiamaka stood up from her seat and began to walk towards the direction. As she walked closer, just as if Patricia noticed her presence, Patricia turned back and entered the hospital. She looked very upset! Chiamaka wished to know why the quarrel that stares, though it was none of her business but she just wished to get a hint of why a matured man would be begging even when he was getting insulted.

“Good evening sir.” Chiamaka greeted the man as he almost walked pass her.

The man stopped when Chiamaka was still following him and turned to face her.

“Did I forget something?” The man asked as he stared at Chiamaka's hands.

“No sir! You did not forget anything. I'm sorry to interfere but the lady you were exchanging words with. You kept begging...” The man interrupted Chiamaka in a calm manner that shocked Chiamaka. She did not expect such reaction.

“It is nothing to worry about it! It is nothing too serious though!” The man replied with a sad expression. “Do you know her?”

Without scurry, Chiamaka replied, “Yes I do know her.”

“I am Mr. Joseph Darlington, and I am the husband of late Mrs. Susan, the woman who died some hours ago. I came to take her home but the doctors confirmed her dead. I wish to even see her corpse but Patricia refused me.” The strange man said and Chiamaka eyes widened. “Please, help me beg Patricia to let me see her body at least. I have wronged Susan and do not deserve to be forgiven. I looked for her and just when I found her, death came.” He continued in a shaky voice as tho he was about to cry and Chiamaka was dumbfounded. What else was she yet to know about Susan? Who did she call her friend?

Chiamaka forced the words out of her mouth, “Okay sir. I will try my best.” Chiamaka replied. Mr. Joseph removed his sunglass and cleaned his eyes with his face towel.

“Here is my contact, just incase she agrees.” Mr. Joseph brought out his complimentary card from his left side pocket and handed it over to Chiamaka, then he walked away.

“Chiamaka!” A familiar voice called out and Chiamaka turned immediately.

“What? How come he is here? Who directed him?” Chiamaka mumbled to herself.
.
.
.

To be continued...

Nawa oh, so Susan has been hiding alot all this while?

Thank God Susan's husband wasn't harsh on Chiamaka, if not, me, I for enter the story beat am 😂😂.

And who is now calling Chiamaka again? Or did Davis track her over? 😊

I'd post new Chapters soon 😊, but also do your part, try to comment and vote. Thanks.