CHAPTER 2

Ezinne the third daughter of Mrs. Chioma, entered the kitchen, in search of a cup to drink water. Their mother have instructed that, no one should drink water direct from the bottle water!.... In the process of rising the glass cup, it slipped off her hands and fell into the sink. Chiamaka and Ezinne stared at each other with widen eyes.

“Oh my God! What will I do now?” She said, almost in a whisper. Without exhaustion, Chiamaka rushed to clear up the broken pieces to avoid injuries.

Mrs. Chioma entered the kitchen, after she heard the sound of the fallen glass cup.

“What happened here, Chiamaka?” Mrs. Chioma asked, while looking at Chiamaka and then directed her stare at her daughter, with her right hand placed on her waist.

As Chiamaka tried to explain, Ezinne overshadowed.

“Mummy, it was Chiamaka that broke a glass cup! I asked her to get me a cup, so I can get water from the fridge.” Ezinne pointed to the direction, where Chiamaka threw the broken glass pieces.

Without giving ears to Chiamaka explanations, Mrs. Chioma, dragged Chiamaka to her reach and immediately, started to beat her! Chiamaka begged and cried for Ezinne to say the truth but instead, Ezinne walked out of the kitchen, laughing.

Chiamaka's had marks of darken bruises. Her eyes we're red too! For something she did not do, she received the worst beating ever. This made her cry and wish her family was still alive,and the blame for their deaths returned.

The gateman, who heard the voice of Chiamaka while she was been flogged, entered the kitchen from the backyard door, only to find Chiamaka on the ground, crying out her hear; sweat, tears and running nose had covered her pretty face. He helped her outside the backyard, went in for some medications, that Chiamaka's late parents bought for him, together with a first aid box; a week before they died.

As years passed by, Chiamaka grew up to be a very beautiful damsel, admired by everyone around. Mrs. Chioma, have being keeping her close watch on Chiamaka and suspected that she was still a virgin. She knew very well that her daughters and son were not, and it got her to hate Chiamaka the more. And so she decided to get rid of both Chiamaka and her virginity.

One evening, the news came in that Mr. Uchenna got a promotion, so he promised to take everyone. And that every evening, the first son, Akachi, returned home from university. So the celebration was to be doubled!

Chiamaka's aunt had an idea and on her way home from super market one evening, she sighted a boy wandering alone the street close to her house. She planed with the and the deal was set.

As Akachi returned, Chiamaka chores, reduced! He was not happy with the way he's only cousin sister, was maltreated. Sometimes, he helped with the washing of dishes or sweeping of the house. Chiamaka was grateful, at least a member of the family, considered her human...... Akachi felt disgust as he noticed how lazy his own sisters had become. Chiamaka even washed their own undies.

Mrs. Chioma hatred for Chiamaka increased even more! And she wished to throw Chiamaka out, as soon as possible.

The day came for the family to go for a the celebration. Mrs. Chioma, called Musa the gateman and sent him on an errand. Musa is to leave for the errand, only after the family is out!

“But Madam, na only Chiamaka go dey for house o! She no fit follow me?” Musa, the gateman, asked!

“Are you mad to have suggested that? Is she not big enough to take care of herself?” Mrs. Chioma, quarreled Musa.

While the family were outside the house, in the compound, waiting for their father to come and drive them to their destination. Akachi, wanted Chiamaka to follow them! He even bought her a gown, so she won't have an excuse.

“Mum, why is Chiamaka not coming along?” Akachi asked not feeling comfortable, leaving only Chiamaka alone at home. And he's mother's face suddenly squeezed and brows, furrowed, immediately, the name 'Chiamaka' was mentioned.

“She is not coming and that's my final say! If she follows us, who will then keep the house in order and you know, today's laundry is much.... Musa would return soon, so she won't be at home, all alone.” Mrs. Chioma replied.

Akachi still not satisfied, “Can't I stay with her until the gateman returns?... I know the place and have some cash with me!”

“Stupid boy, will you get into the car now! And you are lucky your father isn't out yet!” Mrs. Chioma said in her loud voice, and Akachi on the other hand, was not happy but respected the mother and entered the car.

Chiamaka watched from a window upstairs, how the car drove out of the house and the gateman, shut the gate. She had dressed up to join but she was not allowed. While all alone at home, she felt so scared and ran to her room to read novels. She had finished all her chores early, with Akachi assistance but still was not allowed to follow.

While Chiamaka was reading a Nigerian novel titled, 'The beautiful one are yet to be born.' By one of Africa popular authors; she fell asleep and only woke up, when she heard a knock at the gate.

“It could be the gateman!” she muttered and headed for the gate.

AUTHORESS NOTE: Who do you think is at the gate? First time readers will surely fail this 😅.

Please follow me, vote and comment.

WHAT A LIFE (Nigeria Story)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें