Chapter 29

For a while, Davis could not utter a word, his heart began to beat fast. Was it right for him to tell her now? His lips glued!

“Emmmm... Okay! So what is the question?”

“What is it he wanted you to say or do? Are you a ritualist?” Chiamaka asked and Davis eyes widened. He looked, troubled and uncomfortable. She could feel the tense and he was speechless. “Davis why are you so quiet?” Chiamaka shifted away from Davis and he kept avoiding eyes contact.

“I am not a ritualist! It is nothing! Why do you wish to know? He was only kidding! You know how he talks nah!” Davis replied, as he tried to hide his true feelings.

“Davis, do you want to use me for the ritual? They asked you to bring me, right?” Chiamaka asked again.

“I am not a ritualist, I swear to you! What Flora said is nothing, try not to pay attention to that or let it bother you. I love you and only want you to be happy.” Davis said and Chiamaka got more furious.

“What is wrong?” Chiamaka held his hands and placed them on hers, but he refused to look at her.

“Why did you ask that?” Davis asked back.

“Because, you have never told me you loved me. I know I overheard you telling your friend that, but this is the first time you say it up to my face that you love me. What is really going on, Davis? Are you in any secret cult that wants your life? Davis tell me the truth. Tell me what it is that you are hiding from me. I am scared right now and it scares me more to know that it is just you and I here. At least if you want to do anything to me, tell me about it. Don't lie to me, please I beg you!” Chiamaka spoke in tears and as Davis tried to clean them but she turned her face away.

“Please my beloved, do not make this harder for me! I swear with my life that I am not a ritualist. I can not stain my hands with...” Davis stopped for a while and exhaled heavily, “I want you to believe me!”

“Why didn't you finish your statement? Davis, do you think I am stupid? Tell me what you want to use me for? You have never told me you love me, but you said it to my face now. What is it, Davis? Tell me what it is you are hiding! Is it tonight? Is that why you did not want me to touch you the other night? Can you just explain to me because I am confused?” Chiamaka in tears and stood up from the bed but Davis grabbed her hand and looked up to her. He was crying too! His eyes were red and he was sweating even with the air conditioner on.

“I do not know what to say!” Davis replied between stammering.

“So I am correct! Now tell me what it is!” Chiamaka requested but Davis looked away, “Then fine!” As Chiamaka tried to force her hand out of Davis grasp, he held her even tighter and pulled her back on the bed. He did it in a way she won't get hurt and hugged her tight to himself, “Davis let go of me!” Chiamaka yelled.

“I will but try relax a little, please. I beg of you my love!” Davis cried even more.

“You call me your love but I am not! What do you want me for? Why are you in my life?” Chiamaka asked and the hug got tighter.

“I caused you so much pain in the past and I am sorry for everything.” Davis said and Chiamaka stopped struggling immediately she heard him.

“What do you mean by that? I just met you of recent! Months ago, actually and you say in the past, i do not understand!” Chiamaka said with a confused look and Davis who noticed how calm Chiamaka became, separated from the hug.

Davis stood up from the bed, face the wall and began to hit his hands hard on it. He was crying and it weaked Chiamaka. She stood up and held him from behind.

“You won't understand!” Davis turned to face Chiamaka.

“I love you too, Davis. Tell  me what it is!” Chiamaka urged Davis.

“I know but I swear, you will hate me after my confession. I... I... I can't do this!” Davis stammered and pushed Chiamaka's hand out, then he moved to the other side of the room. 

AUTHORESS NOTE:
Who can guess what confession he is talking about?