CHAPTER 9

Months went on and Susan was still slim and looked more pale than before. The girls, suggested Susan should go for a check-up, but she refused and claimed it was malaria, and she bought drugs for it. The girls was still not satisfied with the self medication but Susan was stubborn and so everyone minded their business. Even with the drugs, Susan still looked ill!

While Chiamaka stood outside looking all sexy with the other girls at night, as usual, a car parked at the front of Chiamaka and the owner asked her to hop in. The car was a Ranger Rover and the face was new, but since her job was a risky one, she entered and prayed for safety.

“Looks like you are new around here?” Chiamaka asked, and the young man diverted his stare to her. It is possible he do pick other girls but still the face was new.

“Yes I am!” He replied with a smile. “I'm Davis, and you?”

Chiamaka who was quite excited to be carried by a young handsome man, and already loved his gentle attitude, his voice was soft and she sluggishly responded, “I'm Chiamaka! I don't get called by my English name, though!”

“Is your English name that bad, that you choose to be called by your native name alone?” Davis mocked and Chiamaka looked out the window and wished he did not ask.

“No, it is not! It only brings back memories I do not wish to remember, and I am popularly known by my native name.” Chiamaka replied and looked back at Davis, “So which of the hotels are we up to?” Chiamaka did not want to get too personal, so she diverted to the main reason he had picked her up and rubbed his lap.

Davis grinned and slowed down a little. “And who said I picked you up to take you to any hotel or guest house? I am bored and need company; that's why I picked you.” He replied.

Chiamaka's eyes widened, her heart raced faster and she removed her land from his lap. She began to wonder if she had fallen into the hands of kidnappers or ritualists. She, vigorously, brought out her phone and turned on her location. She needed to be alert!

“Why the sudden feeling of discomfort? Or are you scared of me?” Davis asked and turned to glace at Chiamaka, which caused her heart to race the more. In this century, who would one trust? A stranger?

“Finally, we are here!” Davis announced with excitement and hurried out of the car. Chiamaka was still shocked that he parked at the front of a restaurant for real.

“He was serious?” Chiamaka mumbled.

Davis walked over to Chiamaka and opened her door. She could not stop to wonder what her new client was up to but she was indeed very scared. “Oh Lord, save me!” She whispered a short prayer.

“You really stopped at a restaurant?” Chiamaka asked, still not contented with the sight at her front. The hotel looked nice with the beautiful night view but her heart was not at rest.

“You are my date for tonight!... Remember, I've got your money, and so I own you. So now my beautiful damsel, walk with me! I'm starving!” Davis stretched forth his right hand, but Chiamaka still hastened. “I'm waiting! Eyes are staring!”

Eyes stared their way for real! Chiamaka accepted and walked with him into the restaurant. They took a seat, and he asked Chiamaka to cheer up.

“Waiter, please, over here!” Davis called out and smiled at Chiamaka, who sat opposite him.

With the bright light inside the restaurant, Chiamaka got a perfect view of Davis. He was indeed handsome, his hairs and beard was well shaved, his choice of clothing were great and one could tell, they were expensive. His pair of sneakers were clean too! She still could not understand what the young man was up to, but if he was innocent, he would take her home or to a hotel after their dinner.