Chapter 11: Spark

Beginne am Anfang

"It's full."

"I noticed it was running low so I filled it. Do you mind?" Yichen asked.

"Eh? Mmm... Thank you." Mochou thought as he laddled some water into a separate bowl so he could rinse his teacup. When he was done he took the bowl and walked out of the hut with plans to pour out the water.

"The weeds are gone!!!?" Mochou exclaimed the moment he stepped outside the door. Surprised he quickly turned and looked at Yichen with confused eyes.

"I had nothing to do while I waited for you to wake up so I decided to help." Yichen said.

"You didn't have to." Mochou said then immediately regretted it.

"I mean thank you. I appreciate it." He amended.

"Mochou, if I'm overstepping tell me. I don't want to anything that makes you uncomfortable." Yichen said.

"No... sorry. I'm just a little confused." Mochou said.

"Confused about what?" Yichen asked. Mochou debated whether he should answer or not. Then curiosity won and he decided it would be best to just ask.

"Why are you helping me?" Mochou asked. It was a question he had asked before but this time he hoped for a more serious answer.

Yichen sighed as he prepared to reveal the truth. It was too soon especially since his mother had a fiancé for him, but he wanted to help Mochou.

"I don't think he'll let me help him unless I'm honest about how I feel. I need to tell him." Yichen made up his mind and prepared himself to tell Mochou how he really felt.

"Mochou, have a seat so we can talk." Yichen said.

Even though he felt confused Mochou listened and sat down to talk.

"I initially approached you because I found you interesting. We've only spent a little time together but I find myself wanting to spend all my time with you. Helping you, caring for you, talking to you." Yichen admitted.

"You sound like you're confessing your love." Mochou pointed out. The sudden confession made him feel flustered and uneasy. Despite that he could also feel a spark of hope growing in his heart. He wanted to quickly extinguish it but found it difficult.

"I am." Yichen answered.

Mochou burst into a fierce bright red blush. He stuttered to talk. So Yichen continued to speak instead.

"I understand my conduct is inappropriate but I find myself unable to stay away. If you are willing I would like to call for a matchmaker."

"Matchmaker?" Mochou uttered.

"To make it official. But only if you want. If you aren't interested I will respect your wishes." Yichen clarified.

"... I don't understand. Why would you want to... to..." Mochou stuttered.

"Mochou, love doesn't need to make sense. All I can tell you is that when I think of the future, it's easy to imagine you by my side."

"My body is scarred and my family isn't..."

"You're scars might frighten others but not me. In my opinion you are beautiful. But more than your looks and body, talking to you is fun." Yichen said.

"Fun? We've only spent one day together?"

"It's enough for me." Yichen stated with certainty.

Mochou was stunned. He found it hard to believe days after being reborn in a new world a man within his strike zone would be proposing to him.

Yichen could tell his words shocked Mochou. So he decided to give Mochou a break.

"I know this is sudden. I don't expect an immediate answer. Let me contact the matchmaker and start the process. Even if I contact one today it will take some time before you need to make a decision. Take that time to think about what you want. I will respect your decision." Yichen said.

"Oh... okay." Mochou said. He wasn't sure if he was happy or sad about the wait. Yichen noticed his distress and decided to repeat his words.

"Mochou, I know it's a lot to take in right now. I won't rush an answer. Just know that I am serious."

Mochou closed his eyes and tried to clear his mind that was filling with questions and doubts. He had been rejected and betrayed more than a few times. The last time he tried to trust someone and build a life with them ended in tragedy. He thought he had given up in finding love. That the last of his desire for love was destroyed when Zi Ruo pushed him off the roof.

At least that's what he thought.

Mochou's heart beat hard and fast. The little spark of hope grew rapidly fast. Like a snowball rolling down a hill he felt himself imagine the possibilities.

"Am I really going to have a husband? Can I really be with someone as attractive and perfect as him?" Mochou wondered. As he recalled his current situation he grew more confused.

"I don't get it? I'm ugly, a GER, and obviously poor. On top of that we've barely known each other for more than a day. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense but why do I find myself hoping it's real?" Mochou continued to wonder.

When he finally opened his eyes again he decided to look Yichen in the eyes and give him his answer. One thing he always hated was when he confessed and the other man told him he needed time.

"I have nothing to offer you. I don't even know if my family will have a dowry for me or anything else. But if you are still willing to accept me..." Mochou took a deep calming breath.

"I'd be happy to accept your marriage proposal." Mochou said while blushing.

Yichen was so happy he was giddy. He crossed his arms to stop himself from jumping up and hugging Mochou tight. With a smile exposing his teeth Yichen answered Mochou.

"I'm so happy. I don't care about anything else. I accept everything about you with open arms and look forward to the day I can call you my spouse." Yichen exclaimed happily.

...