Smile | {TanKana}

Theme: Angst

Note: Kinda manga spoilers, but idk because it's sort of reversed roles sooo

And I changed some things so don't question it if what happened doesn't add up to the canon events 😭

Tags: @JustBaraa12

- Requested

×××

Muzan had finally died, the sun burning him to dust. Kanao collapsed onto the ground, her adrenaline finally fading. Somewhere in the process of the fight, she had lost an arm. The only reason she hadn't passed out from the pain—and bloodloss—was the thought that urged her forward, the fact that they were so close and she wanted to live to see Muzan die. To see the man that had brought fury and sorrow and pain to so many people die. She wanted to be a part of the reason of his death. She had to fight till the end.

And then it was the end. 

Several Kakushi were immediately by her side. She could see others starting to tend to the different demon slayers scattered about, helping as many as they could.

And then she saw him there. Tanjiro. 

He was alright. He was laughing, crying, his arms wrapped around Nezuko whom appeared to be human now. Zenitsu was whining about something beside him, a Kakushi holding him up.

Kanao felt her body sag with relief.

One of the Kakushi beside her put a hand to her neck.

"Her pulse is fading," Kanao heard someone say. It was faint, as if their voice was fading away.

She blinked wearily.

Tanjiro was alright. She could let herself go now. 

She glanced up, one last time, and she smiled. Tanjiro was smiling, talking. He seemed exhausted, but it was over now. He could relax.

Kanao's eyes fluttered close and she heard faint shouting before everything seemed to fade away, leaving her in a numb state of emptiness. And then she was gone.

×××

Tanjiro nodded to whatever Zenitsu was complaining about, patting him. "You'll be alright, Zenitsu. If you want, I'm sure the Kakushi could offer you a sedative? They'll bring you to the Butterfly Estate and care for you," he said. "They can tend to you while you are asleep, for the most part, I'm sure."

Zenitsu shook his head defiantly. "Nooo, I'm going to stay awake. Besides, Nezuko-chan is finally human again, she's so pretty," he said, giving Nezuko a lopsided smile.

"Right..." Tanjiro murmured. 

"HAH, IT'S JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE WEAK!! I CAN HANDLE A LOOOTTT OF PAIN!" Inosuke declared loudly.

Zenitsu flinched, trying to cover his ears. "Shut up, you idiot!!! You're going to break my ears," Zenitsu whined. 

Nezuko patted him and he instantly cheered up.

Tanjiro looked around, his eyes skimming over all of the people around them. Many had died, no doubt a lot of the Hashira as well. He didn't know how many, of the people he knew, had died, and how many were alive. But he was searching for someone specifically, unable to find her. His nose wasn't in the best working condition, and he felt light-headed, so that might've been the problem.

"Who're you looking for?" Zenitsu asked, noticing this.

"Ehm... Kanao," Tanjiro said, turning back to the others.