45. Illegitimate son

Start from the beginning

The prince squinted his eyes a little because of sunlight. But he was able to get adjusted to it quite soon.

"What's the problem, your majesty?" Heidith addressed his father formally when he noticed the man kneeling in front of the king. He was a spy King Foneth appointed to check on Edwina. His face looked pale and his body shaking a bit. Heidith suddenly had a bad feeling in his heart.

"Is there something wrong with the princess? Is she okay?" Trying hard not to sound so depressed, Heidith asked in a husky voice, his heart throbbed against his chest like a hammer.

"The princess is alright. It's just..." The man hesitated as if he was thinking whether to report everything or not.

The king spoke for him this time. "It's not about your fiancée, son. King Edwin has started changing his rules not so long ago. According to this guy, he is seeking advice from a very young man, a little boy! Can you believe it?"

Heidith frowned as the room fell into a silence. Was that the same man who met Zadhea and talked to her happily? No. It shouldn't be. He didn't look like a boy, rather a mature guy who must be in his mid twenties.

"His name is Dylan as he introduced himself to the king," The spy began. "No surname."

"No surname?" Heidith's frown deepened.

"There's no way a king would seek advice from a bastard child." King Foneth hit his thigh. "There's only one possibility. He must be blood related to the king. More like his illegitimate son he had from another woman? I think that's the case. He never got a son from his queen. Only a daughter. I think he is planning to introduce his son to the public, at the same time, settling his position as the next king."

"So what?" Heidith couldn't understand. "It's their business, your majesty. Why should we care?"

"You can't understand." Foneth looked at his son, disappointed. "They will become a threat to us. Hey, you. Explain everything to this..." Dummy was the word that was on the tip of his tongue. But Foneth didn't want to humiliate his son Infront of a stranger, in fact someone so lower. "Prince."

The spy bowed a little, showing his approval.

"First change your position," Heidith commanded. "You must be feeling uncomfortable kneeling like that for a long time."

The spy quickly shook his head. "It's fine, your highness. I'm comfortable like this."

Then he continued, "This Dylan person came to meet king Edwin with a little three years old girl and two women. One middle aged and other one was a young woman. He challenged the king by saying that the way he ruled the country wasn't successful and actually unfair. The king became angry and stood up from his seat but he then changed his mind and sat back down. He dismissed everyone gathered there. Only his most trusted officials and generals stayed. I also had to leave."

"Three days later, the king completely changed his ways. He even let that boy plan everything. He even appointed him as..."

"Wait!" Heidith suddenly spat out, cutting the man off. "I guess although he's young, he might be a smart guy. Or else the king won't entrust him to do something like making plans for the kingdom. Kingdom Edwina indeed has a bad ruler. Although he loves his wife and daughter, he doesn't seem to be a good king."

King Foneth hummed at his words. "Your opinion makes sense. He isn't a good king, indeed. It's actually not entirely his fault. His ministers are fooling him. He doesn't know because he doesn't visit his people's wellbeing from time to time. Unlike me."

Foneth was proud at himself because from the beginning he accepted the throne to this day, he never failed as a king. He always worked hard to satisfy his people to no limit. He loved his people only a little less than his family.

"That's why I want to combine these countries together. His daughter doesn't know anything either. She never left her beautiful, little castle. Moreover, how can you expect things from a lady? Son, you should marry her. That way you can take care of Edwina people too. I know..." He looked at his son's green eyes lovingly as he said his next words. "You'll also become... a bit better king."

Heidith didn't know whether to be happy or sad. "But father..." He sighed. It was difficult to talk about Zadhea's behaviour. Plus, his mother said not to tell his father. Should he go back on the queen's words?

"I don't think I need to marry her anymore."

"What are you talking about?" The king became angry at his words. "You have to marry her."

"Nooo!"

"Are you disobeying your father?"

"No." Heidith felt helpless. "As you said, she is a spoiled little princess who never left her castle. A person who isn't sensitive about her people isn't worthy of being the wife of a king. I'd rather marry a commoner."

He of course had a liking towards her. But she broke his heart by meeting another person secretly. Because of that, he didn't want to marry her anymore. If she didn't like him, why would he love her like a hopeless puppy? Wouldn't he appear like a clown in the end? Better to break ties soon.

To be honest, deep down, he was afraid of falling in love with her. He wanted to kill the seed before it turned to a gigantic tree. Destroying the seed is much easier than cutting a huge tree.

"What the actual..." The king was about to curse him when the spy interrupted the father and son's argument by saying, "Your majesty, I actually forgot to tell you something very important. Please forgive me for being careless."

"What?" The king asked as he breathed heavily, his chest rising up and down fast. He was trying hard not to explode in fury.

"King Edwin appointed Dylan as the army commander. But it's still a secret to the public. Dylan is already taking care of the duties of his position."

"Rumours say his real name isn't Dylan and his true identity is hidden very well."

Both father and son clicked their tongues.

"Now I'm damn sure he's his illegitimate son." King Foneth hit his thigh again.

Heidith nodded. "Seems like he is. Otherwise, how can he become the army commander that easily? So fishy."

"Indeed." Foneth's eyes turned dark as he clenched his hands. "I hope Edwin won't break our agreement."

Heidith didn't know what to say. He only knew Dylan guy wouldn't be satisfied from just being the commander. He may be targeting the king's position. That was a huge possibility.

Dylan...

Who the hell was this guy?