30. Puppet Daughter

Start from the beginning

Zadhea did make her feel disappointed.

Her daughter was a failure.

"Greetings to your highness, dear queen. Long live with endless prosperity," Everyone greeted the queen by rising up from their seats. Their voices were hoarse like they were angry.

Queen Margaret gave them a nod.

"If you don't mind, can I talk to the princess for a second?" The queen surpassed her uneasiness and asked politely.

"Of course, your highness. We don't mind," The women replied in unison.

Zadhea furrowed her eyebrows but still followed her mother silently. She knew her mother for fifteen years. With a glance, she knew that her mood wasn't that much good.

Zadhea's heart throbbed faster with each passing second.

When they were alone, queen Margaret snapped at her.

"You know what I regretted the most in my entire thirty two years old life?" She glared at the poor teenager.

Zadhea bit her lips. "Not giving birth to a son?"

It would be the most common regret among women who couldn't give birth to a single son. Whether they were poor or rich, almost everyone wanted a son, not a daughter.

A daughter meant nothing but endless worries and troubles.

A daughter couldn't protect herself, let alone her elders.

A daughter depended on her husband completely, when she got married.

In short, girls were useless unless it came to giving childbirth.

"Nope." The queen shook her head. "In fact, I never regretted giving birth to a daughter. I always wanted a daughter. It's just..."

'Your father and our whole kingdom expected a son as the heir.'

Zadhea looked at her mother in awe. Her eyes welled up with tears of happiness. Finally, it looked like her mother was ready to accept her for who she was. Zadhea wanted to hug her. In fact, she never hugged her mother in her whole life because she always felt like Queen Margaret wasn't her real mother.

Now, she was eventually okay with accepting queen Margaret as her mother.

'I'll love you as much as I love my other mother,' She vowed in her heart. 'Until I go back, I'll take care of you.'

If she knew that she could make her mother satisfy with just by attending a small tea party, she was happy to do it although it was boring as hell.

She could attend thousands of tea parties just to make her mother happy.

'I want you to be happy, mother. I'll do whatever it takes me to fulfill your expectations except marrying my fiancé.'

"I regret giving birth to you."

Zadhea widened her eyes in disbelief when she heard that part. It was the worst thing she could ever hear from a parent.

Queen Margaret didn't stop there.

"Whether you are a boy or a girl, you shouldn't have come to my womb in the first place because... you never succeeded in fulfilling my hopes, my desires. Are you even worthy of being my daughter? You are simply a shame!" She lashed out years of resentment and displeasure in one go.

"What..." Zadhea's voice sounded weak. She felt like everything was a nightmare as her air castle shattered into pieces and those pieces pierced through her heart, causing endless pain in it.

She shook her head. "No, tell me you are joking, mother. You are kidding, right?" Her voice sounded pathetic.

Queen Margaret became angrier.

"You have the audacity to question me?"

Zadhea was getting angry as well.

"Should I be your puppet then? Will you be happy if I become your puppet?"

"Mimosa Zadhea!" Margaret clenched her teeth.

"No!" Zadhea yelled. "I'm not her. I'm not your daughter and I'll never be." She stormed off furiously without looking back.

For the first time in her life, Zadhea felt pity towards the original villainess.

What a pathetic girl...

She was nothing but her mother's perfect puppet.

She did what she was taught. Maybe, she also didn't like to marry the prince. It might be her mother's work. She might have brainwashed her.

Act like a lady, live like a lady...

Get ready to become the wife of the next ruler...

Handle noblewomen as a successful future queen...

What else?

Zadhea sneered.

"Shimu," she called out to her white horse. "Let's go far away."

Her delicate hands stroked the horse's jaw.

"Your highness, where are you going?" The soldiers at the main gate to the palace questioned her politely when they saw her running towards the gate, riding her horse at full speed.

"The king knows."

They silently watched her disappearing into a distance as she left them with these three words.