63

TW: Mentions if Suicide

___________________

Returning back to her tent, there was a copper basin that she rinsed her face and hair. Leaving behind red water. Not being able to take the hollow ache in her stomach, she forced a couple of pieces of bread, before the nausea consumed her.

It was dawn, the sun rising against the horizon and only her father stopped by her tent to drop off the bread. He wouldn't leave until she ate something and they sat together. She was comfortable with saying nothing. Not about the time in the Hybren camps knowing she'd have to give information at some point during the day.

He had recently left as Sage laid on the black rug covering the ground. Her bones ache every time she moves. Down to her blinks. It felt like a couple of hours basking in the silence. Till her body rejected the food and she threw up in the bucket.

She was sick. Thankfully no one was chasing after her to do something else in the time being. The mention of her recovery was whispered around the area. As if she couldn't hear them. And she wasn't going to argue.It was hard to breathe and move for the matter but she pushed through. Just to reposition herself and fall back asleep.

When Sage awoke later, it was time for her to spill everything. She sat in the tent everyone else was gathered in, stationed in a corner as they discussed the implications of the next fight.
Despite the many people, she still managed to seclude herself in a seat far from the rest, perched with a bored expression.

"My scouts say Hybern is on the move as of this afternoon.", Helion stated. Azriel backed it up, mentioning his shadows confirmed the dreaded news. Images of that huge army flashed through Sage's mind and caused her to shiver. The people they have now would not put a dent in the wrath amongst them. She pulled her hair back, hating the humidity sticking it to her skin.

They talked about Tamlin and how he's labeled the enemy. Now a threat amongst their somewhat stabilized army.

"Hybern is delaying the conflict.". Helion murmured under his breath, catching the attention of everyone. "Why?"

Sage kept her gaze away from the circle of speculation. Every single time she's encountered one of Hybern soldiers, they've been wanting to capture her like some ancient artifact. And despite keeping her attention away, she all but felt the no-so-subtle gaze coming from a member of those conspiring.

"He still doesn't have the missing piece. Of the Cauldron's power."

Sage shifted in her chair from the mere mention of the Cauldron. The one that's been begging her. Sending her images to weaken her and succeeding. The bags under her eyes were a physical giveaway. The swarm in her brain was internal.

Further talk amongst the High Lord led to the topic of his moving army. How he's strategized to wear out the power they've exerted on winnowing and use that against them.

"He could have done that from the start.", Kallias replied, "Why now?"

"We've insulted him", Sage lifted her head to the direction the voice came from. She met her eyes with Nesta who was exactly opposite of her on the other side of the tent. For some reason it was hard to breathe, knowing exactly who she meant by 'we'.