8

Sage knew something was up with the family. What she didn't expect was an entire mansion. She was close to falling asleep against Avahi, except the disturbed jumping of the horse was the only thing keeping her up. In a way, she's glad it did. The pathway that they followed Nesta didn't look familiar. Sage memorized the trail by heart. She wasn't familiar with any of the nearby trees, or structures of the rocks.

She couldn't tell if it was three or four stories. Only knew to the windows that stretched up till she had to crane her neck. Conical hedges created a entry way to a white estate with gem colored roof. Avahi was starstruck as well. Both left speechless as they approached the manor. The land around, though dusted with white snow, it looked taken care of. Tended to definitely not by the owners of the home who hardly enjoyed lifting a finger if it wasn't for their own benefit.

Sage has only imagined places as such. She thought of how big she could build her home. But this was far from her reach. Out of her budget. With everything from the wall forgotten; the strange feeling, Sage watched as some person unbeknownst to her walked from around the wide stretched out. And Nesta offered the reign to him.

"Glad you made it back home Ms. Archeron. Your family has been worried", they bowed their heads. Nesta simply handed it off, not saying a word. When they found Sage and Avahi approaching, a curious eyebrow lifted, creating a wrinkle on their pale skin. Sage blinked at them confused, and too flabbergasted to speak.

"And who are your guest?"

"Sage and her husband", she tossed the name as if they were already spoken of. And clearly Sage assumed right because by that alone, the person's eyes brightened with a smile.

"A pleasure", they lowered his head, "Will you be staying?"

"W-wh-.", Sage stuttered. She let go of Avahi, straightening herself ot get a better view of Nesta. She wore the confusion on her face, trying to relay it to the older sister. A little warning would have been preferred. The shock was astounding. Just a month ago, not only were they wearing clothes two sizes too small of them, this family was settled into a cottage barely able to hold itself up in harsh weather. Now the windows gleamed even in the night.

"Yes, they will. Prepare a bed for them."

Avahi peeked over his shoulder at Sage. They exchanged a look, him skeptical. Sage still had wide eyes and a dumbfound look making a humorous smile spread on his face. Avahi, the last time he saw the family they had a similar home. It was only Sage who saw what their previous cottage look like. So while this was defifinelty an upgrade, it wasn't that much different from what he expected from the family. He simply threw away the description Sage gave him.

The assistant, Sage presumed informed Nesta that he'd be right on it, then told the couple someone else would be returning to gather their horse.

When they left, Sage snapped out of it. She quickly demounted her horse, "What is all this", she gestured to the entire estate.

  "The fae did something", Nesta repeated her earlier words, approaching the grand doors. Their voices were low nearly masked by the wind. Avahi came up behind Sage, placing a hand on the small of her back to direct her in following Nesta. She numbly followed.

When she was ready to have a further explanation, the double doors opened. No creak. The only sound being the click of the lock. And through the doors, a set of brown eyes met hers.