45

Sage thanked Barachiel and once again he disappeared. Leaving her to stand in front of the small structure for a few minutes. Just staring at it. She pulled her lips in and subtly licked them as they gone dry.

It was only a few more minutes later she looked up at Lucien. "Will you leave?", she wanted to sound harsh, but it came out as soft. Delicate. This was going to be harder than she imagined.

Lucien of course nodded his head. "Yea, I'll be here if you need me."

"I won't.", she said reluctantly and started up the front steps of the house. She cringed and slowed her pace when the wooden stairs creaked under her. She looked up, frozen to ensure that whoever was inside won't come out until she was prepared.

It was a moment she couldn't do without anxiety overcoming her. But then she thought about it.

Her mother wasn't just terrible. She was cruel. Sage felt no need to be anxious around someone who left her in those conditions. All she should feel is rage and that's what it came down too.

Allowing that rage to come forth, Sage hardened her face as she knocked on the door, harsher than she originally planned. She peeked through the window noting the apparent fire place only for a second before straightening when she heads the sound of slow footsteps started towards the door. Sage quickly took a step back to keep her distance. And tried to keep cool as the locks started twisting.

She squeezed her eyes shut and took a deep breath mumbling to herself that she'd be alright. And that's when it opened fully.

She opened her eyes and immediately had to look up. Her height made sense. The dark-skinned male was reaching the top of the door. His eyes a golden hue, hair white as the snow she used to travel through in the mortal lands. It was cut short of his scalp but still visible.

The smell of honey hit her nose from the interior of the house. Sage took another step back and stared at the male. His ears pointed, bags underneath his eyes. He didn't seem all to happy to be interrupted from whatever he was doing. He peered over Sage's head for a second, before it slowly turned down to her.

Don't run.

That phrase repeated in her head every millisecond the male studied her. And she was about to take another step back when something clicked. Taking the males bored and weary face to surprised.

"Nova?", his voice was deep. Terrifyingly deep. If the male was her father, and he had the same disgusted demeanor to her, it would hurt more than her mother. For her at least she was petite. This was the largest fae she's encountered. Buff and tall.

That wasn't her name. But-

Sage cleared her throat trying to find her words. "Umm no, I'm not Nova. But...", she wanted to do this, she came all this way. And there was only one chance to do it right. In a way she wouldn't regret. "Nova was my mother."

The name tasted sour on her tongue. But in all it confirmed, that this male indeed knew her mother. This was her father.

At that she took more of a look at him, she didn't have to narrow her eyes to see clearly every detail that made his face.

Almond eye shape, just like her. Face shape, everything.

The male stood frozen. Surprised. Sage tried to be the bigger person. The one she planned to be, though everything was screaming at her. This was him. She had plenty of opportunities to envision what he'd look like. But she always said it didn't matter.