3

By the time the window portrayed a pitch-black sky, Sage had fixed another set of tea. The one she always fixed at this time. The moment when all of the sisters were in bed excluding the two.

"She can't marry him", Feyre stated again as Sage approached with two filled steaming mugs.

"I told you she'd come around. It's only to spite this situation. She's vulnerable." Once one of the cups was in Feyre's hand, shse sat on the opposite end of the couch, not minding the sound it created from the sudden pressure. "Now enough about her. How are you doing? Really."

And that when the flood gates open. Feyre spilled what she wouldn't have in the presence of anyone else. These were the moments she held onto every month.

"I just-", Feyre started. This was after dumping everything that happened in the past month. How the winter was worse in bringing in food for her family. That piled on stress had Sage scoot in, she could tell that this was where she was hitting hard. "I don't know how much longer I can do this."

Sage wrapped her arms around the girl as the last word she spoke, her voice cracked. She squeezed tight as tears soaked her black jacket.  She knew it was coming. Just by the way the dinner went, she felt the burden that piled on top of her friend. And she hated it. No matter how many times she offered, or how many times she tried to get through to the family, there was no ends to breaking the fortress that enveloped them.

Once people hit rock-bottom, it's hard to think about those around them. Sage understood. She's been at the point where her self-ish acts were the only thing that was of her.

"I'm sorry", Sage whispered, kissing the top of Feyre's head. "Do you need me to stay the night?"

Having the lump in her throat, Feyre nodded against her. "Ok. I will."

The two managed to fall asleep on the couch. Nesta had woken up early that morning to go chop the firewood she had promised her sister prior. But found them laying beside each other on her way out. She froze in place once recognizing the two bodies and just glared. Sage was a light sleeper, so she heard the door to their bedroom open, then the footsteps.

So when she heard them stop without a door prior, she forced her eyes open to see what was going on. Feyre was sleeping on her lap, while Sage was sat up right, finding comfort from the head of the couch as a pillow.

"Good morning", the woman whispered. Catching Nesta by surprise. The Archeron rose her eyebrows with wide eyes. And like she was caught in a guilty act, she just walked away. Sage merely scoffed at the intersection and found it hard to get back to sleep.

Not just from the now rhythmic chopping of wood, she also was staring up at the ceiling. Conjuring up ways that could truly help this family instead of the rationed meals every month.

She offered Feyre to stay with her, but of course their was no ends meet for she cared about her family. Rightfully so. She was coming up on many blanks, that time was moving along with every thought. She slept with her hair still situated in the low bun, the fire had died off hours ago, so when the door open and closed once more. She was shivering from the still air.

It came full impact. Nesta didn't care about the noise level. She caused some ruckus dragging the cleanly chopped logs into the house one by one. Not bothering to look in Sage's direction. But by the fourth trip, it was more for Sage when she spoke up.