18

Sage's eyes shot open and the first thing she noticed was how sharp her vision was. Instead of the cloudy version she'd been used too, she was able to see every crack and every speck of dust that flew above her head.

The roof to her cell had mold on it. Microscopic bugs crawled along it, and she was able to spot out every hair on it's leg.

The next thing she noticed was her sense of smell. The metallic scent of blood was so thick she was close to gagging. Then flesh. Burnt flesh.

Her body ached, neck stiff as she turned her head to where the smell was coming from. Being able to pinpoint the exact location was new. But her sore body was completely ignored as right beside her, face down, a corpse. It's body black and  charged to being almost unrecognizable.

She was quick straightening from her position on her back and scooted back against the wall. And she soon realized, it wasn't the only body.

The smell was so strong and  putent simply because no less a few inches before her, 5 bodies in similar states, different stages of degree burns lied across her cell.

  She was hyperventilating at this point. She placed a hand to her chest, grasping the thin material of what she had left from her shirt. Her voice was horse and she couldn't talk.

The cell was freezing. Or it used to be. Though running a fever for the past 8 months didn't stop the cold from seeping through her skin. She still sensed her surrounding environment's conditions. 

But now the outer conditions seemed to bounced off her skin. Kiss it before reflecting to where I came from. It was odd. Like the air wasn't a figment of imagination that she used to just feel. But it had turned physical. Like her skin was interacting with everything that touched it.

When the smell started to become normal, and even in her scared state, she was already sensing the next stimuli. Food.

From her chest, Sage's hands fell to her flat stomach. Aching for something.

"What is the hold up!", a voice boomed. Sage didn't flinch. She heard their intake of breath. The same way she heard their heart beating. Their presence was no surprise. What's surprising was her ability to tell.

The pointed ears of the corpses gave fae when she looked at them again. She was still in there territory.

"The King is wai-", a tall fae peeped into her cell. His angry face instantly, dropped at the sight. Sage had no clue what she looked like. Hasn't seen herself since she was thrown in, but the fae's eyes popped at the sight of her. Then his pale skin somehow drained of any color remained in it at the bodies laid out on the cell floor.

"Mother above", he whispered. His voice suddenly shaky. Sage's heart wasn't beating. Her fear wasn't expressed through any inner signs. But she thought it.

Her heart wasn't beating.

Once again, disregarding the fae, Sage patted the area in which she used to be able feel some sort of heart rhythm. Confused wasn't the right term for her. Panic was.

She frantically did another pat across her chest for some sort of indication that she was alive. If she could reach into her chest and feel atleast her vital organ, it'd be better than what was going on at the moment.