56

Sage woke up, her pillow oddly hard. She opened her eye to them completely opposite to how they went to bed. His hand was warped around her torso and her head laying on his shoulder. His hand was right where the end of her shirt was. Just one wrong move he could be in dangerous territory.

That's when she remembered the nightmare. The terror and how they ended up like this. Her throat felt sore from possibly crying most of the night and her body drained. A migraine pounded at her temple that she didn't even think about it as she rested her head back and closed her eyes.

She tried to go back to sleep and rest off the remainder of her weariness but it wasn't as simple as she expected. Instead she stirred under the soft covers and adjusted herself to look up at the male still holding her. His face relaxed, smooth skin glowing from the sun that leaked through the curtains.

She caught herself staring a little to hard but he seemed to not wake up from it. His hair was still tucked up into a bun, fly aways spilling strands of red onto the silk pillows. She felt an urge to reach out and fix it.

In the wake of the rest of the manor, footsteps walked up and down the corridor, not disturbing her focus. Oblivious to what happened last night. How she couldn't even breathe. If she stayed in her room, she couldn't imagine going through any of that alone again.

He didn't judge her. Or ask any questions for that matter. Not even a simple 'what's wrong'. Just reeled her back into the real world, then comforted her.

He didn't have to. And yet....

Sage losses her resistance. In a small move she adjusted till she was turned over looking down at him. She would regret it later. Find it weird another time. But something scratching the back of her mind wanted to see more of him.

She lifted a hand, hesitated , but followed it with a gentle soothe of his hair. That's all she wanted to do, but she then found herself looking at him longer than intended.

After a while she figured he wouldn't wish to wake up in the position they were in. She was the one who laid into his arms after all. To her demise, already missing the warmth he provided, she started to get up and move over. But right as her body was slipping from the hand wrapped around her torso, his grip tightened. She froze and slowly turned to see if she'd woke him up but he was still breathing evenly. Not even moving an inch. As if his grip on her was a sort of reflexive instinct.

Her chest tightened as she came to that realization. In a weird way she was thankful for the excuse to continue laying in his arms. Then another part of her felt that sting in her chest.

This isn't right.

Not really worried about waking him anymore, Sage stirred the rest of the way out of his touch. Of course that's when she felt him grow conscious behind her. She felt the bed sheet ruffle as Lucien blinked awake.

She didn't even look back at him as he lifted himself on his elbows and watched her from behind. There was a mirror before her that had perfect view of the bed behind her and one quick glance made her regret doing it. Now she had to say something.

"Thanks for last night.", she whispered, tugging the shirt down a little seeing it scrunched up at the hips from his grip.

Lucien didn't say anything at first. He just looked at her. Like she was something he longed to reach out for. But he cleared his throat to gather himself. "You're welcome."