33

TW: Pregnancy Complications
(This is putting it lightly. I understand this is a sensitive topic for some people, I'd suggest only read the first half if that's the case)

It was only a split second of Cassian looking at his surroundings that he realized Azriel was there lurking in the shadows. They coiled around him as if he was ready to leave. But at the sudden intrusion, they dissipated.

Rhysand set his writing utensil down and gave Cassian a puzzled look. With a tilt of his head, he saw more of Cassian. The stiffness, uncomfortable aura. Something was off.

"What do you mean?", he asked carefully , "Cassian what's wrong?", he asked his brother.

"What happened to Sage's husband?"

The room grew ten degrees cooler. Or it seemed so for the High Lord as he haulted in place. A wave of recollection swarmed his eyes, and Cassian only was more shocked as his walls barricaded his thoughts. Like he put extra security from hiding whatever truth lies behind it.

"Why the concern all of a sudden?", he threw a question right back. Cassian furrowed his eyebrows as the tension in the room started to grow.

"How did she end up in Hybern?", it was a battle of questions as Cassian never broke his gaze from his brother. "Nesta and Elain.... that was Tamlin's doing. But Sage looked like she was there for months. When we visited Feyre's manor....", he looked back to Azriel, "How long was she there?"

He recalled Rhysand sending Azriel to Hybern. That was only after he was acting strange when Nesta told them that Sage moved. It seemed out of ordinary, and even their High Lady denied that Sage would ever do such a thing.

"Rhys...", Cassian noticed that he wasn't saying anything. "The UTM situation was almost a year before the King dipped her sisters in the Cauldron."

It was starting to click. The puzzle pieces. The timeline. And the story. Her scars. The state she was in.

Rhysand, who once held a defenseless stance, steeled up. He straightened his back and fixed into his High Lord posture. "I protected Feyre. My mate. Your High Lady."

He repeated himself. Azriel kept silent though his look was fixated on his High Lord too. Letting Cassian fill in the puzzle pieces for him. For all of them.

And it sunk in. Hitting Cassian like a brick wall that's been in front of him this whole time.

"She was pregnant.", Cassian added, not commenting on Ryshand's declaration. And that was the wrong thing to say.

Because the air inside the office thickened.

"We are done with this conversation. And you are not to mention this to Feyre."

Cassian shook his head, "No.... you can't just do that. She is out there right now holding back tears because not only is her husband not here, but.", he lowered his voice into a whisper. "Her child. She could hardly even walk when we first brought her here. How the hell do you expect to keep this from Feyre-.

"I don't know.", he interrupted with a perplexed sigh. Like he gave up trying to contain the issue at hand. It was one thing to have her sisters in the incident by the High Lord of the Spring court to blame, but Sage's entire story from the moment she left the mortal lands to now was his doing. "I don't know.", he repeated again. "But she has her sisters to deal with, I don't want to over whelm her."