he's the one

"are you sure i look okay?" dokyeom asks, tugging at his shirt for the hundredth time as he repositions himself in front of the mirror one last time before you both head out the door. "i feel like my boobs are out" he says nonchalantly, seeing nothing wrong with his statement.

you laugh out loud at his absurd comment, shaking your head at his distress. "you're fine, baby. you look perfect" you say, leaving a light kiss on his forehead to calm the nerves that you know are swimming around in there. "now come on, lets head out" you say with a smile, hoping you actually make it out the door this time.

he takes one last long look in the mirror. he's wearing baggy jeans, paired with a very loose white tank top underneath an oversized flannel, leaving his chest exposed. he insisted that his hair was messy today and it wouldn't comply, so he topped it all off with a yankees baseball cap. since you know him so well, you know it's probably going to come back off sooner or later. he looks absolutely handsome as usual, and you know that his outfit isn't the real reason why he's so antsy. you're meeting up at an outdoor brewery with some of your friends. despite having been dating for a while, dokyeom hasn't met most of your friends because they live a bit further away. one of the people coming today has been your best friend since you were 5. he's a family friend that has been through all of your ups and downs, and you have been waiting for him to meet your boyfriend for what feels like forever now. you have a strong feeling they are going to hit it off. however, dokyeom finds himself extremely nervous and on edge today. he doesn't want to mess this up. he wants nothing more than for your friends to love him like you do. he's feeling shy and awkward, trying to remind himself that it will be okay. 

once you're in the car he sits silently and watches out the window. you wish he wasn't so nervous, as you know your friends couldn't dislike him even if they tried. you hope you didn't somehow put any pressure on him from all your stories about your best friends, and how much they mean to you. that was never your intention. once everyone has a few beers in them, you think it will go swimmingly. a little liquid courage never hurt, right?

once you pull in to the brewery and park, you notice that it's super busy here today. you have a little bit of a hike up from the parking spot to the tables outside. 

"ready?" you ask him, turning to face him with a smile.

"mhmm" he hums, smiling back apprehensively.

you know that typically addressing his nerves only makes it worse, so you try not to talk about it on the way up. you can see his shy, reserved personality on display today. you hope to make him feel more comfortable. 

with it being the middle of november, there's a chill in the air that can be unforgiving at times. you notice dokyeom shake a little from the breeze, wrapping his arms around himself. 

"i tried to tell you that you would be cold" you tease, reminiscing on how you told him a billion times to wear something heavier. 

he doesn't verbally reply, just gives you a 'yeah yeah' kind of face back, shaking his head jokingly. you frown at his quietness, and think you might have to break your rule about not talking about it. you stop him from walking for a moment just before you hit the entrance. you stand in front of him and slide your arms under his flannel, wrapping them around his fit waist. in part this is to give him some warmth, and in part to cheer him up. he smiles down at you as he tightens the hug and rests his chin on top of your head momentarily. you look up at him and say, 

"please just be yourself. that's all you need to do" with a encouraging smile. 

"i will try. i promise" he replies back, kissing the top of your head before he lets go and you both walk through the fenced entrance.