12. He's reluctant to get engaged

Start from the beginning

"What the f..." Zadhea quickly covered her mouth. She didn't want to curse in front of them. If she did, her mother wouldn't forgive her for ages.

"Father, you promised me!" She complained, her eyes turning misty. "You said... I don't need to marry that stinky prince as long as I prove myself! Why are you turning back on your words like this!?" She was devestated.

"Watch your mouth!" Queen glared at her. "Have some respect to your future husband."

"He's not my future husband!"

"Of course, he is. Don't forget that you are a lady! A LADY!!!"

"SO WHAT? MOM, JUST SHUT UP!"

"WHAT? HOW COULD YOU???!!!"

"ENOUGH, BOTH OF YOU!!!" The king roared, pausing their argument.

Then he motioned his wife to leave. "I'll take care of her. Darling, you go first. I'll meet you later."

The queen reluctantly agreed and left the venue before giving her daughter another stern look.

"Little warrior, you shouldn't act recklessly. It's to avoid suspicions, okay? The engagement is fake. You get it? It's fake! In that way, no one will figure out our plans," King Edwin kindly explained.

"Please endure your mother. She's a traditional woman."

Zadhea let out a sigh. "I know. But... it's troublesome, father. I'm also running out of patience. How can she always protest? She always says don't do this, don't do that, act like a lady... Ugh! I can't take it anymore!!!" She pinched the place between her eyebrows.

"Don't worry, she'll understand you one day... As for the engagement, King Foneth himself sent me the letter with royal signature, stating that they had already headed towards Edwina by the royal ship."

"Goodness precious! He really wants to make sure that I marry his stinky son!" Zadhea shook her head in disbelief.

"I know right?" The king shrugged his shoulders.

"What does he say?"

"Who?"

"Prince Heidith... About the engagement..."

'Where are you, female lead? Why haven't you appeared in front of him yet? Let him refuse the engagement for god's sake!!!'

"I don't think he opposes to it. Perhaps, that stinky prince also doesn't have a choice..."

Zadhea nodded understandingly. "I think so too."

-------------

"Are you excited?" King Foneth asked his silent son.

"Excited for what?" Prince Heidith raised a brow, averting his gaze towards the king.

He stood behind the cabin, next to his father while watching the dolphins swimming beautifully. Sea waves splashed on the ship's body, making a soft sound.

"Brat, tomorrow is your engagement. Did you forget it?"

His question made Derek laugh. He was like another son to the king. Because of that, he could shamelessly butt in anytime, anywhere without being afraid of offending the father-son duo.

"He isn't excited. He's angry," Derek said with a tsk sound.

"For what?" The king couldn't understand.

"Everytime he helps you find a suitable gift for his future wifey. But she... She never gave him a single present for any of his birthdays. Tsk, a true meanie right there."

Heidith snorted coldly. "Don't be so childish!"

Derek ignored him and continued, "Seems like his future wife doesn't care about him. He thinks he should treat her with her own medicine."

"...I didn't say that."

"But I know you for decades! I can understand what's going inside your mind!"

King Foneth sneered. "He really thinks like that? What if she does the same. Sending gifts from King Edwin's account."

"It's too obvious that she doesn't, your majesty," Derek disagreed. "I know how girls act. She doesn't care about this person here. So he is reluctant to get engaged."

"Maybe the princess is a shy, traditional girl," King Foneth reasoned. "Perhaps, she is too embarrassed to get close to men."

Heidith blinked when he heard that.

Was it really the reason behind not paying attention to him all these years?

Then why did she act like a badass girl on her eighth birthday?

Maybe she changed for the better?

Heidith's lips curved into a smile.

Now he was excited to meet this girl.

AN
Where are you?
Where are you?
Where are you?
👀