067. morning grouches

"I'm sorry I couldn't bring better news, Dean." Cas says.

"It's not your fault, Cas." Dean says.

"Thank you." Sam hangs his phone up. "All right, the sheriff gave me a few more names, some preliminary IDs on the bodies."

"And?" Dean asks.

"And it seems to fit Cas' story. I mean, there's no way to tell the relation to Cain, obviously, but he's wiping out entire families, one after another." Sam says.

"So who's next?" Dean asks. "Is he done with the Tollivers?"

"Uh, I think so. I mean, Leon didn't have any siblings or any other children I can see, and Tommy was never married, so I... oh, come on. Damn it." Sam sighs.

"What?" Cas asks.

"Tommy did have a son, estranged, who lives with his mother in Ohio. Uh... Austin Reynolds, 12 years old." Sam says.

"Is the kid still alive?" Dean asks and Sam opens a Facebook page.

"As of an hour ago, yeah. He updated his status. But, I mean, come on. It's a kid. You don't really think Cain would--"

"Yes, he would." Cas says.

"There were old men in those graves, Sam, women. I mean, you heard Cas. It's a fire sale. Everyone must go." Dean says, starting to walk away.

"Where you going?" Sam asks.

"We know where Cain's gonna be. The kid's in danger." Dean says.

"Okay, so what, we track him down to Ohio, and then what?" Sam asks.

"Then I'll do what I have to do. I'll kill Cain." Dean states.

~ ~ ~

"Okay, I-I'll call you. Let you know I'm okay." Sam tells his wife.

"Okay." She quietly says, anxiously rubbing the back of her neck. "Look, I-I know that Cain is probably mostly out for your brother, but he's obviously not afraid to kill anybody and everybody, so--"

"I'll be careful. I promise." Sam cups her face and kisses her. He starts to pull away after a moment, but she pulls him back, deepening the kiss. He eventually manages to pull away, although reluctantly.

"You die, I'm gonna murder you." Miranda warns making Sam softly laugh.

"I know." He smiles, kissing her on the nose. "I love you."

"Love you, too." She mumbles, frowning when his hands leave her face and he leaves.

+++

It's early morning when they get back to the bunker. Sam walks through the bunker, going to Carly's room first. The girl is asleep with a Narnia book open on her bed, her lamp on. He softly smiles, quietly walking in. He grabs the book and puts her bookmark in it, putting it on the nightstand. Sam gently kisses her on the head and turns the lamp off before leaving.

He goes to Wyatt's room next, the boy asleep in bed, snuggled up under the covers. Sam kisses him on the head, brushing his hair back from his forehead. Sam quietly leaves and goes to Serena's room, only to find her awake.

"Daddy!" She gasps.

"Hey, baby girl." Sam softly smiles. "What are you doing awake?" The girl only shrugs and holds her arms out to him. Sam picks her up, the girl clinging to him, cuddling into his warmth. "Come on. I gotta go say hi to your mama."

Sam gets to his and Miranda's room, the woman asleep in bed. He puts Serena on the floor, the girl occupying herself with her stuffed animal. Sam kisses Miranda on the head, rubbing her hip, the woman waking up from both actions.