035. braid sam's hair

Miranda leans against the trunk of the Impala while Sam refills the tank and he's on the phone with Kevin's mom. The kids are running around a bit, following Miranda's earlier order to stay near the car. Cas is leaning against the hood of the car and reading a newspaper.

"Right, yeah. No, just, uh-- just call us whenever you find something." Sam tells her as Dean walks over. Dean takes the caps off the beer bottles, giving one to Sam.

"Yeah. Yeah, of course. Right. No, I-I, uh... yeah, hey, you know what? Uh, Dean's here. He really wants to talk to you." Sam holds the phone out to his brother.

"Ms. Tran, yeah, hi, uh--" Dean hangs up. "Tunnel." He tosses Sam's phone back to him. "What's going on in Tran-land?"

"Well, uh, Garth finally got them to his houseboat, but Kevin's having a lot of trouble reading their half of the tablet. So far bits and pieces. Nothing about boarding up Hell." Sam says.

"Garth has a safe houseboat?" Dean asks.

"Dude, I don't even ask questions anymore." Sam says. He puts the gas pump back up as Dean walks over to Cas.

"What's the word, Cas?"

"It's a shortened version of my name." Cas says.

"Yes, it is. I meant what's the word on the Word? Any, uh, tablet chatter on angel radio?" Dean asks.

"Oh, I couldn't say. I turned that off." Cas says.

"You can do that?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, it's a simple matter of blocking out certain subsonic frequencies. I could draw you a diagram if you want." Cas says.

"No, that's-- we're good. Why'd you flip the switch?" Dean asks.

"Because it's a direct link to Heaven. And I don't want anything to do with that place... not anymore." Cas says.

"So what now? Move to Vermont, open up a charming B&B?" Dean asks.

"No. I still want-- I still need to help people. So... I'm gonna become a hunter." Cas smiles.

"Really?" Sam asks.

"Yeah. I could be your fourth wheel." Cas says.

"You know that's not a good thing, right?" Dean asks.

"Of course it is. A fourth wheel adds extra grip, greater stability. I even found a case. Oklahoma City -- a man's heart jumped 10 feet out of his chest. It sounds like our kind of thing, right?"

"He's got a point." Sam says.

"Excellent. I'll see you there." Cas says.

"Wait, Cas. Cas!" Dean yells getting him to stop. "If you want to play cowboys and bloodsuckers, that's fine. But you're gonna stick with us, okay? None of this zapping around crap. Capiche?"

"Yeah, I capiche." Cas nods.

"All right, then." Dean walks to his door.

"Can I, uh, at least ride in the front seat?" Cas asks.

"No." The brothers answer as Sam shoulders Cas out of the way, getting in the passenger seat.

+++

"I-I don't understand." Ms. Freling says. "Gray had a heart attack. Why would the FBI--"

"The parks are government property. We just got a few questions for you." Dean says.

"I'll, uh... I'll handle this. I've done research. I can crack her." Cas tells them. "Now, Ms. Freling, I don't want to bother you. I-- I really don't. But I-I do have just one question for you."