031. kevin's mom

"Are you kidding me? You serious?" Dean asks after hearing Kevin's request.

"What? Is it too much to ask if we can swing by and check on my mom?" Kevin asks.

"Swing by? It's a day's drive in the opposite direction. You know that, right?" Dean asks.

"Yes. I understand we're in a hurry." Kevin says.

"Okay, well, then, what's the problem?" Dean asks.

"Channing's broken neck is my problem!" Kevin exclaims. He looks around to make sure nobody heard. "I'd rather not see my mom twisted into a corkscrew."

"Kid's got a point, Dean." Sam says.

"Stay out of this." Dean tells him, Sam smirking in amusement. "Kevin, your mom is fine."

"How can you possibly know that?" Kevin asks.

"Because Crowley needs her to be, okay? In fact, he's probably got the place stacked with bodyguards right now, protecting her so that when you do show up, they'll pounce on you both."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

"She's bait, man, plain and simple. And you want to swim right up and bite the hook? Look, we have Crowley by the short and curlies, okay? All we need to do is find the tablet, whip up the spell, and -- boom! -- sunshine and sandy beaches."

"Dean, my mom's all alone. She's surrounded by demons. Can you really not understand why I want to make sure she's okay?"

Dean looks at Sam who shrugs.

"I'm with the kid." Miranda says.

"If I were him, I'd just leave you and find my mommy." Carly tells her uncle.

"Son of a bitch." Dean grumbles, dropping his burger. "Fine. Let's go."

+++

They're sitting in the Impala across the street from the Tran household. Sam is looking through binoculars.

"Tiger mom, 9:00." Kevin snatches the binoculars.

"Where?" He asks.

"Left window." Sam answers.

"She seems okay. Sad... but okay." Kevin says.

"Check out the mailman." Dean says.

"Yeah, that's Carl. So what?" Kevin asks.

"Yeah, well, Carl's filled your mom's mailbox three times since we've been sitting here." Dean says.

"He's a demon?" Kevin asks.

"And see the gardener? Think that plant needs any more water?" Dean questions.

~ ~ ~

They sneak to the back and cut the water off from the hose. As the gardener comes to investigate, Dean stabs him with Ruby's knife, killing him.

Dean and Miranda purposely cause noise and soon the mailman walks through the back gate. The two wave as Sam comes up, stabbing the mailman with the knife, the man falling dead.

They go to the front door and Kevin knocks on it, his mom soon answering.

"Hi, mom." Kevin greets.

"Oh! Kev-- Kevin." She says. As she goes to hug Kevin, the brothers step into view, splashing her with holy water. "Ah! Oh! What..."

"She's clean." Dean says. Kevin hugs his mom who tightly returns the hug.

"You smell that?" Sam asks. Sam and Dean start to walk further into the house. "Stay back." He tells Miranda and the kids.