016. psychics

Sam had found out that Dean ended up killing Amy, the family of four departing from Dean and Bobby.

"Okay, baby. Your mommy's, like, half awake so if you need something, you can just shake her a little." Sam tells his daughter.

"Where are you going?" She asks.

"I'm gonna go for a run." He says.

"Why? What's chasing you?" She asks, concern growing in her blue eyes.

"Nothing, honey." Sam chuckles. "Sometimes people run for fun. For exercise."

"I hate exorcise." Carly grumbles. Sam's lips quirk up at the mispronunciation.

"Ex-er-cise." He pronounces.

"That's what I said." She says.

"Okay." Sam mumbles. He kisses her on the head. "Be good. I'll be back soon."

+++

Sam is in the bathroom and getting ready for bed. Miranda quietly walks in, shutting and locking the door.

"Kids are asleep." She smiles. "And it's been a while, so, uh... maybe, like, some quick bathroom sex." She smiles.

Sam quietly laughs, letting her start to kiss his neck. His hands roam her body, frowning at the uncomfortable feeling building up in him. Miranda's hands slip under his shirt, going to push it off.

"Mm. Mm." Sam pulls away, holding her at arms length. "Actually, uh... ra-rain check?"

"I-- yeah. Yeah, okay." Miranda nods. "Are you okay? Is something wrong?"

"Yeah. Yeah, no, I-- I'm fine. I just..." Sam quietly clears his throat, his arms crossing over his abdomen. "I'm not in the mood."

"Okay." She says. "Wanna watch a movie or something?"

"I, uh... I kinda just wanna go to sleep." Sam says.

"Okay." Miranda nods. "You sure you're okay?"

"Yeah." He nods and forces a small smile at her.

Miranda nods. She leans up to peck him on the lips, but he lowers his head, preventing her from doing so.

"I just-- I just said-- I don't really--"

"I wasn't-- I wasn't trying to-- it was just gonna be a peck." Miranda says. "But it-- it's okay. Sorry. I..." She frowns. Even when he hasn't been in the mood, he still never denied a short kiss. "Goodnight." She unlocks the door and leaves, climbing into the bed.

Sam rubs his hands over his face, wincing. He presses into his left palm, wishing Lucifer would just shut up.

+++

They're in a town on a case and are at a restuarant.

"Just coffee, black, extra shot." Sam tells the waiter after Larissa ordered for her and the kids. The waiter walks off.

"You always wear a suit to get your palm read?" They turn to see Dean.

Sam doesn't respond, focusing on the file, and he tenses up.

"Yeah. Not surprised you caught this one. It's on every morning zoo in America. You mind?" Dean asks. Sam waves his hand around. Dean grabs a chair, putting it at the table and sitting next to Miranda. Sam shuts the case file, holding it in his lap.

"So, I, uh, I went to the scene. Wires, speakers, enough EMF to make your hair stand up. Don't even think about getting a reading. Oh, and, uh, if this hadn't have been two psychics that bit it... I would have just chalked this up as being, uh, dumb and accidental. And I know, I know. This whole town's supposedly calling ghosts."