037. talk

Sam walks out of the motel room, seeing Miranda get the kids in the car.

"Where are you going?" He asks.

"Why does it matter?" Miranda asks.

"Cause they're my kids, too." Sam says. Miranda sighs and rolls her eyes.

"I'm going back to the cabin. Far away from your dumbass and your dumbass brother." Miranda says, shutting the back door after Carly gets in.

"Randi--"

"You don't wanna trust anybody, that's fine by me. I'm not sticking around for it, though." She says, getting in the car.

+++

Sam is sitting on the couch in the motel room and has a beer. There's a knock on the door and he gets up. He honestly hopes it's Miranda, but he knows that's unlikely. He's proven right when he opens the door to find Dean.

Sam starts to shut the door, but stops. He huffs and swings the door open, Dean walking into the room.

"Who did you expect?" Dean asks.

"What do you want?" Sam asks.

"You know, I wouldn't need to be here if you didn't hang up on me." Dean says.

"Yeah, well, I heard all I needed to hear." Sam says.

"No, you heard what you wanted to hear." Dean argues. "I told you Benny wasn't killing. Hell, I watched him end the fangbanger that was."

"How about Martin? How did he end that?" Sam asks.

"Stupid -- just like I said it would." Dean says. "Crazy son of a bitch didn't give Benny a choice. It was self defense."

"Seriously, Dean? That's the story you're going with? That the vampire was the real victim here?"

"Hey, like it or not, that's the truth, okay? There was a time when that actually meant something."

"Yeah, yeah. No kidding."

"What does that mean?"

"You think this is just about Benny?"

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"What the hell do you think I'm talking about?"

"Miranda? Oh, come on, man. I sent you that text cause I needed you to-- to--"

"You needed me to what? To be afraid that what happened to everybody that we care about might happen to my wife and kids the one night I'm not with them? To-- to expect to find their mutilated bodies lying around a damn motel room?"

"You were gonna kill Benny. What was I supposed to do?"

"Is that what we are? You save a vampire by making me believe that the four most important people in my life might be dead?"

"What do you want to hear, Sam? That I was wrong? Fine. I was wrong. Okay? But if you'd have just heard me out, if you'd have trusted me, all of this could have been avoided."

"You didn't want me to trust you. You wanted me to trust Benny, and I can't do that."

"Right. Okay, well, then, what the hell do we do now?"

"That depends. It depends on you. On whether or not you're done with him."

"Well, honestly, I don't know." They stare at each other. "Glad I made the drive." He leaves.

+++

Sam finishes painting sigils around the cabin.

"Okay. That should do it." He says. "Cas can't see or hear us now."