015. kitsune

"Sammy." Dean touches Sam's shoulder. "Sammy, hey." Sam jumps awake. His arms tighten around whatever's on top of him, glancing down to see Carly asleep. "Whoa. That's 12 hours straight. I'm calling that rested. Here."

Dean holds out a water bottle and a power bar.

"Hydrate and, uh, proteinate." Dean says.

"Breakfast in bed." Sam remarks.

"Don't get used to it." Dean says. "Let me see that hand." He takes the bandage off of Sam's hand. "Eh, you'll live. Here." He pours whiskey over the wound making Sam hiss. "All right, take it easy."

"So, ooze invasion. Any leads?" Sam asks, glancing up when Miranda walks in. The blonde offers him a soft smile, Sam returning it with a weak one.

"I got all my feelers out. Whatever they're up to, it ain't about going Mothra down Main Street." Bobby says. "They'll turn up. You seem pretty eager to stretch your legs, you know." He says, rebandaging Sam's wound.

"Now, onto our other big problem. How're you doing? And do not say okay." Dean tells Sam.

"I'm not okay." Sam states.

"You think?" Dean retorts.

Miranda smacks Dean over the head.

"Hey. Go a little easy." Bobby says.

"Okay, well, there's nothing easy about it, Bobby, okay? We acted like he had everything under control." Dean says.

"I get it. I'm sorry. Look, I-I didn't exactly want to crack up, you know?" Sam asks.

"What the hell happened back there?" Dean asks.

"Well, it's not just flashbacks anymore." Sam says.

"Well, then what?" Dean asks.

"It's more like... I'm seeing through the cracks." Sam says.

"What does that mean?"

"It means I'm having a difficult time figuring out what's real."

"Hallucinations."

"For starters."

"Well, for starters, if you're tripping Hell's Bells, why would you hide that?"

"I wasn't hiding it, Dean. I-I was just not talking about it. I mean, it seemed like you guys had enough going on as it was. Look, I-I just figured, try to hold onto the safety bar and ride it out, you know? But it's getting more specific."

"As in, specifically what?"

~ ~ ~

"What the hell, Sam?" Dean asks.

"I told you." Sam says.

"I mean, seriously, how do-- how do you argue with that?" Dean asks.

"I know. It's a problem." Sam says.

"Well, now, wait, I got it. Why would the devil holodeck you a whole new life when he could just kick your ass all over the cage?" Dean asks.

"Cause, as he puts it... you can't torture someone who has nothing left for you to take away." Sam says.

"Okay, fine. But this Malibu dream mansion that he-he-- he makes for you to take away is this post-apocalyptic mess?" Dean asks. Sam glances over at the chair that's on the other side of the room. "Wait. Are you seeing him right now?" Sam nods. "You know that he's not real, right?"

"He says the same thing about you." Sam says.

Miranda's heart clenches at the scared and sad look in Sam's eyes.