024. garth and foxholes

It's nighttime and Sam is driving while Dean sits in the passenger seat and Miranda is in the back with her kids.

"All right, well, call us if he wakes up or, you know, anything. Yeah, fine. Thanks for your help, Meg." Dean hangs his phone up. "What a bitch."

"So, Cas is the same, then?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, down to the drool." Dean says and Sam hums. "By the way, how is your custard?"

"It's all right. It's getting better. Just wish it wasn't like the damn tape from The Ring. I mean, I feel like I'm okay cause I passed on the crazy." Sam says.

"No, you didn't. You heard what Cas said." Dean says as his phone starts ringing.

"Let's-- let's not. You know what?" Sam says.

"Hello." Dean answers his phone. "Wait. W-who is this?" He asks. "Oh, yeah. Yeah, how you doing, Garth?"

+++

They're at the motel and Garth is working on his EMF meter. Sam and Miranda are sitting across from each other at the window while Dean is on the couch and reading John's journal. Serena is asleep in her mom's arms, Wyatt is playing with some of his toys on the floor, and Carly is standing behind Sam and trying to braid some of his hair, pouting each time he moves his head.

"There's a million things with claws that go bump in the night." Dean says. "Once you throw in invisible, the number goes down." Dean picks up a card that's on the table by him. ""Afternoon Delights?" Really, Garth? Don't you think this place is a little, uh..."

"Uh, you want a nice hot tub after a day at the office. It's the little things." Garth says.

"He's got a point." Miranda says.

"I feel sad for those brewery dudes. Spend your life beautifying the world through beer. First a partner offs himself." Garth says. "Now two kids get ganked by unknown freakadeek."

"According to this, Dale wasn't just a partner." Sam says, looking at his laptop. "He was also the brewmaster."

"Brewmaster?" Dean asks.

"He was widely considered a genius." Sam says.

"All right, that's it. No microbrew is worth... what was it? Eight Food Magazine awards?" Dean asks, getting beer out of the fridge. "Beer's not good. It's... whatever water is." He gives everybody a beer and opens his own. "Hmm. Thighslapper." He takes a drink. "Wow, that's actually awesome. Damn it, I'm not even mad anymore."

They watch as Garth downs the entire bottle of beer, letting out a loud belch afterwards making Wyatt laugh.

"Wow. Party on, Garth." Dean says.

"I don't even usually drink beer. It messes with my depth perception. Especially when I skinny-dip." Garth says. Miranda gives her husband a weird look.

"What's skinny dipping?" Miranda asks.

"It--" Sam starts.

"Swimming in your birthday suit." Garth informs.

"Dude." Miranda says.

"What's a birthday suit?" Miranda whispers to her dad.

"It means you're naked." He says.

"Why would you wanna swim naked?" She frowns.

"Some people like it." Sam says. "Just-- don't worry about it. Keep braiding or something."

Carly sighs and grabs a small chunk of his hair.

"Hey, you guys want to hear a joke?" Garth asks.

"Listen to this. This is something interesting." Sam says as Garth laughs. "Garth, are you drunk?"