065. dark charlie

Sam and Miranda are sitting in the library and Dean walks in with two omelets as Sam gets off the phone.

"You made egg white omelets?" Sam asks.

"Yeah. Breakfast of champions. You know, if you're a dork like you." Dean says.

"And you slept past 7:00." Sam says.

"Yeah, well, until we get answers on this Mark of Cain, I am on a 12 step program not to backslide." Dean says.

"12 steps?" Sam asks.

"Yeah. Hey, if Cain found a way to live with it after going dark side, then I just got to find a way to keep it in check, so haven't had a drink in a week, eight hours of rack time every night, and... now this masterpiece."

"That's three steps." Sam says.

"Shut up and eat." Dean says. Sam takes a bite.

"Wow. That's-- that's awesome." Sam says.

"It's shit. Ugh. God." Dean pushes his plate away.

"Soon as we get rid of this demonic tramp stamp, I am back on the booze, burgers, and... more booze." Dean says.

~ ~ ~

"What the hell?" Sam asks.

"Cain or Crowley?" Dean asks.

"Charlie." Sam says.

"Is she back from Oz? She didn't call?" Dean asks.

"Yeah, uh... she's been busy." Sam says. Dean and Miranda look at the video of Charlie -- in dark clothes and with short hair -- beating up a guy in a backyard.

"What the hell am I looking at?" Dean asks.

"So, you know, I was looking into the news, checking for anything weird, right? I found this story about a torture vic. Apparently, some kid videotaped this at his next door neighbor's house." Sam says.

"What are you saying, Charlie tortured someone?" Dean asks.

"Uh..."

"Our Charlie? Yea big, wouldn't hurt a Hobbit, practically sparkles?" Dean pulls his phone out, trying to call her. "Come on, Charlie, pick up."

"The guy she went all Jack Bauer on -- uh, Peter Harper."

"She's not answering."

"District attorney in Topeka. According to this article, he wasn't the only person in town that was hit. Uh, a court stenographer was assaulted the night before."

"Well, you know, Charlie wouldn't go off on someone without a reason."

"Yeah, I wouldn't think so either, but look at the video."

"Oh, I'm looking at it. But you know what we do, taken out of out context, it doesn't look that much different. She could be hunting. Why don't we go talk to this asshat and see what's going on?"

+++

Sam and Dean are sitting across from Charlie, Carly, and Miranda. Carly is on Sam's lap and Wyatt is on Miranda's lap.

"There's two of you? One good, one bad?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, what, dick you is some sort of ninja?" Dean asks.

"She is a badass, yeah." Charlie nods.

"Okay. Hold on. Back up. We were there for Dorothy, Oz, yellow brick road. B-But then..." Sam says.

"War. The war for Emerald City. It was awesome. Until not so much. We were gonna lose, so I made a deal with the Wizard... of Oz. Wears a hood and a creepy mask, kind of a jerk -- good times. He said for us to win, I had to unleash my true darkness, which he meant literally."