023. psych ward

Dean and Miranda storm into the office, Miranda carrying Serena and holding onto Carly and Wyatt's hands.

"Okay, sir, ma'am. You can't just barge in here without an appointment!" The nurse exclaims, chasing after them.

"They said talk to Kadinsky. You Kadinsky?" Dean asks the doctor behind the desk.

"You need to be scheduled!" The nurse states.

"Well, then, schedule us!" Dean says. "He was in a car crash. Why the hell can't we see him?"

"You're Sam Smith's brother and wife." Kadinsky says.

"Yeah, what's going on?" Dean asks.

"It-- it's fine. Thank you. Really." Kadinsky tells the nurse and she leaves. "Sam was admitted. He was treated for a broken rib and lacerations."

"Okay. That's not too bad. And?" Dean asks.

"And... he's on our locked psychiatric floor." Kadinsky says.

"Excuse me?" Miranda scoffs.

"I mean, he's had some trouble..." Dean says.

"So you're aware that Sam is experiencing a full blown psychotic episode?" Kadinsky asks.

"Psychotic?" Dean asks. "Come on, I mean, the guy's... it's not like the guy's fuckin' Norman Bates."

"No, I'm sure he isn't. We need to determine whether his state was brought on by the insomnia or whether the insomnia is a symptom of his condition. Do you understand? So that we can figure out how to treat him." Kadinsky explains.

"Well, all I can say it that the sleep thing is-- is kind of new." Dean says.

"Right. Well... we've pumped him about as full of sedatives as we safely can. So far, he won't go under. I've never seen anything like it." Kadinsky says.

~ ~ ~

Kadinsky leads them to Sam's room. They go in and Kadinsky leaves.

"How are you feeling?" Dean asks.

"Maybe you should cancel my UFC fight." Sam remarks.

"Sam, we're gonna find you help." Dean says.

"I don't think it's out there, Dean." Sam says.

"We don't know that." Dean says.

"We know better than most. It's all snake oil. Last faith healer we hooked up with had a reaper on a leash. Remember?" Sam reminds.

"Yeah, Sam, I remember." Dean says.

"I'm just saying..."

"What? That you don't want my help?"

"No, I'm just saying... don't do this to yourselves."

"Sam, if I don't find something--"

"Then I'll die. We knew this was coming."

"Sammy--" Miranda starts.

"No." Dean denies.

"When you put my soul back..."

"No."

"Cas warned you about all the shit it would--"

"Fuck Cas! Quit being Dalai fucking Yoda about this, okay? Get pissed!" Dean punches his hand.

"I'm too tired." Sam whispers. Miranda's heart breaks at his words. "This is what happens when you throw a soul into Lucifer's dog bowl. And you think there's just gonna be some cure out there?"