Epilogue

E P I L O G U E

T H E - D I A R Y [ e l e n a s - p e r s p e c t i v e ]

T H E - D I A R Y
[ e l e n a s - p e r s p e c t i v e ]

Dear Diary,

The day I met Stefan Salvatore I was a shell of a girl. Lost in the idea that a part of me had genuinely died alongside my parents when they went off that bridge. His presence brought me back to life, and when I thought I had lost him. I internalized my fear of losing that feeling.

I treated someone who had never done anything but protect me horribly, and yet somehow. I was given the chance to take it all back.

There's no way I will ever believe I truly deserved the second chance. Whereas I will forever believe the others did.

I managed to stop Rosalina from dying, from facing the trauma that would have come from her mothers actions. Which led to the removal of both Esther and Mikael from the originals lives forever.

They're all so happy, so unexplainably happy.

Klaus can finally live without the pressure of his fathers return creeping up on him. He's settled in New Orleans with Elijah and his new girlfriend—Hayley.

Caroline is set to move in with them very soon. Something that's been in place since Klaus had returned to confess his undying love for the blonde. A sentiment to which she returned immediately.

Rosalina and Rebekah all but screamed when they confessed their newly established relations. My ear drums would have burst permanently if it wasn't for my vampire healing.

Speaking of Rosalina and Rebekah. The later of the two joined Damon and Bonnie on a trip around the world. Taking the witch to explore everything she possibly could in her lifetime.

She'd even met a man along the way, an old friend of Damon's—Enzo. He's been nothing but good to her. I can't imagine anyone else by her side now that I've seen them together. It was one of the first things I noticed when I visited them in Paris.

Meanwhile Rosalina, the most important of them all. Has stayed back and repaired the old Salvatore estate alongside Stefan.

The youngest Salvatore waiting until the area was complete to propose to Rosalina. He took her to an open field, near the falls. A place special to the two of them.

He had a witch spell the field to be full of beautifully flourished flowers. Standing metal, vine covered, candles littering the area. Protected to prevent a spread of flames.

I hear it was one of the most incredible things Rosalina's ever seen in her many years of life. An achievement Stefan's made very clear, will never be forgotten.

Nevertheless, my friends are happy. They're safe, and I've gotten to watch it all. I've gotten to explore myself, go to college and even train to be in the medical field.

I nearly fell for a man, his name was Tom. Yet stopped myself for several reasons. He was human and I was not. He was a doppelgänger, and I wasn't willing to repeat history—not again.

Besides my near re-exploration of love. I found myself given, an undeserved, yet gratefully received gift from those I had tried my best to protect.

On their journey, Bonnie found an island. Damon, being Damon, offered to explore it with the others. Which led them to finding a cave.

In the cave, there was a box and inside the box? A cure. They brought me a cure. For vampirism, and after I'm finished writing this. I plan on taking it.

I don't know how long my life will last beyond that point, and for once. Since everything's changed? I'm okay with that.

Elena Gilbert

Rosalina slowly set the diary down on the girls grave, a single tear falling down her cheek. She didn't fully understand what the girl had written.

She spoke of saving them from a life of which she treated her horribly. A life of which she had died by the hands of her own mother, and whilst she wished that wasn't true.

The idea of the Gilbert sacrificing whatever life they could have had, to give them a better one. Made her forgive whatever the girl could have been hiding.

"She seemed content" she whispered. Standing to her full height, arms wrapping around herself. Stefan smiling softly as he pulled her in for a comforting hug.

"How can you tell?" He asked. Genuinely curious, needing to reassure himself that his past lover and eventual friend was satisfied with the life she had lived.

"I read it all, every single page from start to finish—" she gave him a quick reassuring glance. Vision obstructed with tears "—meeting you was one of the best things that could have happened to her, I think despite all the bad that came with it. She wouldn't have had it any other way"

He let a few tears fall as he pulled her even closer.

"I know it's only been two years since she's passed but it feels like a decade" he confessed. Thinking back to what it had been like, finally watching a petrova grow old. It had been strangely comforting.

"I don't think it will ever get easier, but I'm happy she got to live the life she wanted. We both know she never wanted to live forever. Vampirism wasn't for her"

He hummed as they sat in comfortable silence. Unaware of how, somewhere out there. Peacefully. Elena sat, with her family by her side.

As she awaited the day she'd be allowed to see them all again.

───

A/N

Thank you guys for reading this story. Truly. If you've made it from the very start to now. I appreciate your support more than you realize. I started this book in October of 2021! It's been nearly two full years! Which is absolutely mind melting.

Despite the occasional loss of motivation, or distance from this story. I've been trying to find a perfect end for a year out of the two, and I've decided there will never truly be a perfect end to a tale. Especially not one that involves so much love and pain.

I hope you all enjoyed their story, and I truly hope that I can share my future creations with you all!

Heaviestofhearts x

───

Word Count: 1066
( unedited ✔️ )