Prologue

P R O L O G U E

───

—ROSALINA DRAGGED THE
tip of her pen against the parchment over and over again. Perfecting each letter as she continued to elegantly jot down her thoughts. Distracting herself from the sounds of breaking glass downstairs, one of her eldest brothers going through a wave of emotions as he dealt with an unfaithful ally.

The only thing removing her from her current position being the buzzing of her phone as it shook against the wood of her nightstand. Multicolored nails shining in the light as she reached over to grasp the device. Happily swiping to accept once she read the name;

'Elijah Mikaelson'

The oldest of all her conscious brothers, and her shoulder to cry on. He was the most noble of her siblings and someone who never failed to cheer her up when she was down. So she couldn't help but to get excited at the thought of speaking with him. Niklaus's rage bringing down her mood significantly.

"Lijah, you have no idea how grateful I am that you are calling me" she whispered into the phone. Hoping the enraged sounds from below would distract Niklaus long enough for her to block her call from his prying ears. The man on the opposite side of the phone instantly catching onto her predicament by the softness of her tone.

She rushed into her connected bathroom. Shutting and locking the door behind her as gently as she possibly could. Soon after pressing the phone to her ear using her shoulder as she shifted the shower curtain aside. Reaching in to turn the knob and allow the water to pelt against the tile wall. Muffling any further noise she made.

"If I had known you required company, I would've called sooner-" he started, the pity in his voice making Rosalina roll her eyes. Happy he couldn't see her, and promptly judge her for the action. Finding it to be one of her more immature habits.

"Don't start with the pity party dear brother, now, whatever prompted this beautifully timed phone call" she teased. Making sure to be extra posh with the way she spoke, her brother probably pressing his lips into an unimpressed line. Knowing she wasn't taking his unplanned call as important as he found it to be.

"Someone contacted me regarding a Petrova doppelgänger, they have her held up a few hours out. I was wondering if you'd care to accompany me. You've always had a soft spot for these women" he explained, pausing between sentences to give her time to process. Knowing she had always felt terribly empathetic towards the women who face Niklaus's wrath.

All due to a ritual their ridiculous parents deemed fitting, to hide something her brother could have simply embraced and controlled. Although wolves were still a touchy subject for her after Henrik.