Chapter Thirty

C H A P T E R - T H I R T Y

───

—CAROLINE HAD DONE PLENTY OF
digging through the apartment of the Mikaelson siblings. Soon after deciding that her next step would be to do some interrogation. Specifically towards those of which had been at the cabin with her during the weekend.

Stefan, since he had been the one to lie to her through text, being her last target. Elena Gilbert, on the other hand. Was her first suspect. She never liked Rosalina, always caught up in the emotions Stefans betrayal gave her. Therefore she figured she would be the exact person to question.

She sent her a simple text asking if she'd like to meet up for lunch. Considering they hadn't hung out in quite some time, Elena was eager to agree. The brunette thinking that with the Mikaelson out of the picture that her life could pick up from where it had taken a pause.

Maybe she could regain her relationship with her bubbly blonde best friend— possibly even begin to rekindle the relationship she had with Stefan. Now that there wasn't a ridiculous blonde vampire in her way.

So that's how the two ended up opposite one another in a booth at the Mystic Grill. Caroline wearing a fake smile, hands clasped tightly together on the surface of the table top.

"I'm starving, I haven't had their fries in ages and I—" Elena rambled as she waited for Matt to bring them their order of fries and onion rings. Caroline barely paying any mind to her excited antics.

"How was your weekend?" The blonde blurted. Almost wincing at her lack of subtlety. Watching curiously as Elena faltered for a moment at the question. Quickly hiding her disdain before answering as normally as she could. Mustering up the courage to lie to her childhood friend.

"It was fine—" she cleared her throat and shifted in her seat. "—Stefan and Rosalina got into a fight on our way back. So she opted out of helping me with my current situation. Instead she went out to help Elijah with a family matter outside of town" she explained. Changing a few of the details to better her opportunities at flirting with the Salvatore.

The original plan was to say that on their way back Elijah had called her and requested her assistance outside of town for the next few weeks. The Gilbert adding in a fight so that Caroline wouldn't be as opposed to her moves on the man.

"I can't believe she didn't tell me! What did they fight about? Was it a big deal?" She added extra attitude to 'believe' to make it seem as if she was peeved with the blonde for leaving without a word. Pressing further to get the brunette to slip up.

"I-I didn't pay much attention, too caught up with everything going on, you know?" She played it off with a shaky voice. Caroline taking note of how she acted as if she couldn't be bothered with the couples drama. Which she knew was never the case.