Chapter Twenty Three

C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y -  T H R E E

───

—ELENA WAS SAT WITH HER
hands pressed firmly against the arm rests of Rosalinas living room arm chair. Two fingers wrapped in gauze, with rods stuck between them to help the healing process. The original vampires lip twitching slightly in amusement at the sight of her work.

She felt good about causing the woman physical pain. Having held back so much rage at her insufferable antics for Stefan and Damon. The brooding brother more specifically. Although now, with her devilish hook unlatched from his heart. She had the ability to do at least a bit more unpunished harm.

"Why am I here exactly?" The Gilbert girl asked impatiently. Everything she could be doing instead swimming through her mind in a way that made her unsnapped fingers tap irritably along the chairs fabric. A frown clear on her lips as she glanced around the group of vampires.

Rosalina sitting silently perched on the side of their sofa. Stefan directly besides her with his legs slightly spread in a comfortable fashion. Hand resting gently on the back of the blondes body to keep her steady. Where as Damon took up the space next to his brother.

Whereas on the opposite side of the room, Caroline Forbes stood with her arms crossed and back firmly pressed against the wall. Elijah a few feet to her left with his hands in their usual resting position, his pant suit pockets.

"You're here to discuss the danger you happen to be in" Rosalina commented plainly. Already bored with the meeting the Salvatore's had requested. Hands laying clasped together in her lap. Legs crossed politely, as she watched the flare of disgust flash over the doppelgängers face.

"They are aware of our deal and would like to add to it" Elijah explained. Not waiting for the brunette to respond before nodding to Damon for him to say what their request was. The blue eyed Salvatore smirking as everyone's eyes shifted to him.

"It's simple. You don't put yourself in danger, viola—everyone's happy!" He fake cheered. Sarcasm dripping off his words as he painted a clearly false narrative. No one necessarily wanted her to die, even if Rosalina wouldn't be exactly heartbroken. Yet that didn't mean they were thrilled to have to go to such lengths to protect her.

"I'm doing the ritual, end of story. You heard what Katherine had to say about Klaus. He will kill everyone I love if I run. That includes you three" she countered. Pointing between Stefan, Damon and Caroline helplessly. Wanting them to understand why she was so eager to let herself die.

If she didn't, it would be them to face the mans wrath. Rosalina and Elijah shared a look at her words. The blonde sighing when she realized her brother wasn't going to budge on explaining. Leaving her to further interact with the woman.

"Niklaus, being our brother, wouldn't lay a finger on any of them. They are under my protection. Therefore they wouldn't be in the line of fire if you were to remove yourself from the ritual" She finalized. Not paying any mind to the looks she received from her three friends.

"What about Jeremy? And Jenna? Bonnie?" Elena began to list. Hoping the woman would add them to her list of protection. Refusing to believe that Klaus would cause any harm to them because of actions she could or could not make.

"We have enough strength to protect them, their safety is still apart of our deal" Elijah reminded. Not wanting the brunette to push his sister too hard. He knew how badly she'd react if Elena acted if she had even an ounce of power over her.

"So you want me to what? Wait until you guys come up with a plan to save me? Let you face Klaus on your own? Risk your lives for me? No way" she refused.

"Well, you heard the woman—" Rosalina stood up with a sarcastic smile on her lips. Hands clapping together as she paced besides her brother. "—she'd rather die than harm anyone she cares about. Even if they are all protected under the most vicious vampires besides Nik" she commented.

"Rosalina" Elijah scolded. His eyes stern as he challenged her to continue. The blonde letting out a huff before taking her seat next to Stefan once more. Arms crossing over her chest angrily as she thought over all the ways she could rip into the insufferable Gilbert's jugular.

The youngest Salvatore replacing his palm on the small of her back comfortingly. Rubbing his thumb in gentle circles on her spine, causing her tense posture to loosen slightly. Expression softening as she looked down to the man thankfully.

"Please Elena, if anyone can protect us all. It would be them, they know him better than anyone. Everyone can live if you cooperate" Caroline pleaded. Knowing that the older vampires were less than pleased with having to convince a mere human to allow them to save her.

"Fine, alright. Fine. If that's what you guys need me to do. I'll cooperate—" Elena spat. Hands lifting herself up off the chair, wincing slightly as she bent the wrapped fingers. "—can I leave now?"

The group nodded, Rosalina being extra eager for her to exit. Elena scoffing at them before rushing from the scene. Her brown hair blowing around in the wind as she entered the front yard. Jumping slightly as the original slammed the door behind her.

"Thank goodness that's over" she spoke happily. A bright smile now replacing her previous frown as she turned to admire her friends faces. Expression falling at their unimpressed looks.

"What?"

───

Word Count: 964
( edited ✔️ )