052. talk to dogs

Start from the beginning

"By venom."

"By venom."

"Okay, so... what are we talking here, some sort of a freaky ass snake monster?" Dean asks, sitting across from Sam.

"Maybe. The weird thing is snakes either envenomate or constrict. No snake does both." Sam says.

"Correction -- freaky ass mega snake monster." Dean says.

"It could be a Vetala." Sam says.

"Yeah, but they're not afraid to sink their fangs in. Taxidermist was bite free. It doesn't really fit the profile."

"Right. So...?"

"So, call Kevin. Have him look some stuff up."

+++

"An Inuit spell?" Dean asks. They're at the motel and the Colonel is lying on the floor by the table. Wyatt and Carly are sitting by him and petting him. Dean and Sam are sitting across from each other while Miranda is sitting between them. Serena is sitting on Sam's lap, the large dog freaking her out slightly.

"Yeah. Who knew the, uh, Men of Letters had its own Eskimo section?" Sam shrugs.

"And it's supposed to let us communicate with The Colonel?" Dean asks.

"Yeah, well... that's the plan." Sam says, mixing the ingredients. "Kevin said it's like a sort of human/animal mind meld."

"Meaning?" Dean asks.

"If it works, we should be able to read The Colonel's thoughts." Sam says.

"All right, I'll do it." Dean takes the glass. "You-- you got enough on your plate."

"Like what?" Sam asks.

"Uh, like... you're tired. You're on the mend, okay? You, uh... you've got kids. You know, can't really parent if you're talking to dogs. Plus, you-- you've got a sensitive stomach. Last thing we need is you chucking this stuff up. Doesn't look so bad."

Dean downs the potion.

"I was wrong." He says. "Come on." He holds a hand out to Sam while coughing a bit.

Sam gives Dean a book and he recites the spell.

"All right. Let's get this party started. Tell me everything you know." Dean tells The Colonel. "What's the matter? Cat got your tongue?" Dean laughs. Carly gives him an unimpressed look. He looks at the couple who also aren't laughing. "Tough crowd." He remarks.

The Colonel barks. Dean shakes his head at the couple.

~ ~ ~

"So, call Kevin. Spell tasted like ass and was a bust." Dean says as he finishes eating.

"At least it didn't affect your appetite. Geez." Sam says.

"Yeah." Dean says. He looks down at the dog who is sitting by the table. "What?" He asks after a moment.

"What?" The couple ask.

"You-- shut up. It's working." Dean says.

"It-- go." Sam says.

"Say that again." Dean tells the dog. "Dennis DeYoung's not a punk. He's Mr. Roboto, bitch."

"Who?" Carly's eyebrows furrow.

"Why are you arguing with the dog about Styx?" Sam asks.

"Wh-- uh, yeah. Also educate your kid." He tells the couple. "Um, hey, boy. What were you trying to tell us about Cowboy Hat?" Dean asks the dog. "And the pothead, too?"