Chapter 86

Rafael rubbed his hands for a minute

Rafael rubbed his hands for a minute. He didn't know if it was just him or the hallway was just cold. Maybe it was what standing in front of the neonatal intensive care unit for two hours without flinching did to him.

Barely twenty four hours later but no one could blame him for still being in a blur. Looking at the little incubator behind that glass, staring at the little hands that grabbed on to his finger from it, and watching how peaceful his son slept was the highlight of his entire life. He was addicted to being a father again, too addicted to it and it worried him that he was probably being too much.

He couldn't help himself.
It was like he was in a dream. Olivia was still fast asleep and there was nothing else he could do around the hospital than be with his son. He just needed to watch him, he was going to make sure to watch him grow every second if he needed to. Not this time, he was never going to let his family go and be on their own this time. He wasn't going to miss any second of his growth, he didn't want to.

He felt a chill pass through his body each time he heard him coo and tighten his grip on his finger. He was so little, Rafael couldn't help but wonder how anyone could be so little and yet how he and Olivia had made someone so perfect. The doctor had said it was normal for children born premature.

'He was going to put on more weight as he grows'  he said. Rafael was just thankful he was alive, that he was safe, that he had chosen him to be his father.

He didn't think he deserved it, not after the way he had neglected the family he was given before. But the heavens heard him, and they saw his heart and gave him another chance to make things right. This time was going to be different. He was never letting them out of his sight ever again. 

The door to the room opened and a nurse walked out of it with a folder in her hands.

"Excuse me." He tried to gain her attention and watched as she started walking to him when she noticed him.

"Is everything alright sir?"

"I was just wondering, it's very chilly out here, do you think the temperature is alright for the babies?"

She smiled brightly at the sound of his question. Rafael had no idea about caring for premature babies. He had done a bit of research but he just wanted to be very sure that the internet wasn't feeding him with lies like it did almost seventy percent of the time. He didn't want to take any chances.

"The incubator is regulated at a suitable temperature for them. It keeps them warm."
The smile on her face was receptive of his enquiries, it didn't waver.

So the internet was right after all. Rafael nodded his head, he understood perfectly. He was about to thank her when-

"You heard her Rafael," he froze immediately he recognized whose voice it was coming from behind him. He turned immediately.
"you don't have anything to be worried about, your son is doing just fine."