Chapter 48

She checked her wrist watch one more time, letting out an exasperated sigh as she returned her gaze to the front door

She checked her wrist watch one more time, letting out an exasperated sigh as she returned her gaze to the front door. He wasn't coming, it was almost so clear now. A smirk appeared on Ivory's face. She couldn't believe the amount of hopes she had put in him, what did she expect anyway? Tony didn't have any reason to honor anything that came from her anymore.

"Still waiting for him?"

She slowly turned the moment she heard Rafael's voice behind her. She let out an exasperated sigh when her eyes met his and then quickly replaced the disappointment on her face with hope but Rafael could see through her, he could see the hurt laced in her fake smile.

"Just give him some time. I'm sure he would come around." He assured her. Rafael knew Tony more than everyone in the world, he also knew what he and his sister shared and how much her disappearance had taken a toll on him. It took Tony years to get over her and then just as he was getting back to living again, she showed up at his office and took him by surprise.

She knew better too.
She had been preparing for this moment for a long time. It wasn't like she could just show up in his life again and act like nothing happened.

She exhaled.

"It's fine, I wasn't expecting him to show up anyway. I know he still hates me for what happened-"

"He's like this because he doesn't understand what happened." Rafael took a few more steps towards her and stopped when he got close enough. "And in his defense, he has every right to. He thinks you chose to leave him, you left him after he became vulnerable to you, and then you just showed yourself in his life and world again after twelve years of going off the grid and telling him over and over again that you wanted nothing to do with him."

Her fake smile grew even wider.
She was extremely embarrassed by her actions just hearing Rafael lay them out to her like she wasn't aware of what she did.

She knew Tony's well deserved hate towards her, she had already guessed how her decision to come back home was going to play out and in all the scenarios she had placed before herself before she did, Tony's hate for her was always put into consideration. She expected it, she knew it was inevitable.

"He hates me."

"No," Rafael frowned as he reached for her arm slowly. "Tony doesn't hate you, he's just- angry, and confused as anyone would. He has mourned you leaving him for more than a decade, I just think he needs some time to get used to seeing you around."

Ivory exhaled.
She knew Rafael was right, if there was someone else that knew Tony just as much, it had to be her. It was impossible for him to change that much. Hearing Rafael say those words to her was a reassurance. She scoffed and then raised her hand to reach for his face. She slowly settled it on his face while he turned slowly to look at it.

Just like Tony, Rafael wasn't exactly comfortable with having Ivory around. Even though they were a bit close during their childhood, they weren't so close and after she left, it felt like a part of him had left too. After she left, a lot of things had happened, they kept in touch for the first two years and then didn't for eight years, and then got in touch again for two years. All he could remember about the woman in front of him was the memories he had of their time together before she left. She didn't even make it to Kamsi and Constance's burial, or his wedding.