Chapter 79

Three weeks later

Three weeks later

Three weeks.
It had been exactly eighteen days and she could still remember it like it was yesterday. She could hear Austin fire that gun over and over and over again, every time she closed her eyes. It was like cancer, eating up a part of her brain and leaving only selective memories of the time she didn't want to remember.

It was even harder getting past every day when the news always found some reason to talk about it. She was roped into a continuous cycle of remembering a day she would have rather forgotten for the rest of her life.

The storm was meant to be over. Austin was dead, he had died at the spot. Apparently, Matthew didn't hold back when he fired his shots at him. He didn't make it to the hospital. The death of the famous son of Silver group was all over the country, and trust Nigerians to spill all the tea and hit where it hurt. But Austin's death wasn't the only death that made it to the news, Victoria had committed suicide barely a week after Austin's death was announced. Apparently, the hurt and burden of losing two sons was a lot for one mother to take in. The prison guards had claimed that they had found her hanging to a ceiling fan during labor Day. She left no notes, she left nothing.

But that wasn't all.

Ever since the Silvers had fallen, the country had no use for them. There was no reason to talk about them or concern about their loss, but the country mourned. Three weeks since Sommadina's body was found cold in their home and retrieved. According to the results of the autopsy Ivory was given, she and Randal had both been poisoned by the food testified to have been prepared by Sommadina. It was a mess, a lot to take in and Ivory was having a hard time getting past the situation or forgiving herself for what happened. That could explain why she had locked herself away for days and barely left her house or let anyone in. Olivia had tried countless times to reach her but she wasn't taking her calls, neither was she taking the door too.

She drew a deep as she turned to the EKG. The beeping sound that came from it, snapped her to consciousness as she lowered her gaze on him.

It had been three weeks  and he was yet to open his eyes again. She could remember the words of the doctor echoing in her head over and over again. Words could not express how broken she was when she was told that Rafael had slipped into a coma during operation. They were able to get the bullets out but the doctors could not confirm when he was going ever going to wake again. What he went through, it was a lot for anyone, he had advised her to just wait and hope for a miracle. Hopefully he fought hard enough to be back home, back to her.

She had faith in him.
She slowly reached for his warm hands and squeezed them, raising her other hand to her belly too and holding it gently, she also wanted a miracle to happen.

"You should get some rest,"

Olivia snapped out of it, raising her head to the doctor that was standing at the other side of the bed. She had been thinking all minute that she barely remembered that she wasn't the only one in the room. The way she was lost in her thoughts must have bothered everyone else, the doctor and his nurse.