Chapter 20

"It's really crazy, I mean, who would have thought that a man who claims to have the best interest of his family, a man like Raphael Okonkwo would try to destroy the same family he claims to protect

"It's really crazy, I mean, who would have thought that a man who claims to have the best interest of his family, a man like Raphael Okonkwo would try to destroy the same family he claims to protect. It's almost as if this is intentional, he claims to be a man of the people but what man would actually want to bring about the end of his own family?"

"Many people, including me believe that there is a lot that meets the eye. I think he saw an opportunity and took it. An opportunity to promote his law firm, possibly to stay relevant."

"You think he turned his back on his family to stay relevant?" 

"That's the only explanation I can find to any of this. Either that, or he is bewitched because it's almost impossible that any of this can happen in real sense. We all know that Randal Okonkwo is no saint, but come on, the things that he is being accused of is outrageous. He is a man of the people, we have seen how much he has given back to the community even in ways that the government has failed us. Do you really think that he would try to do something as horrible as being about the extinction of a community?"

"You talked about bewitching earlier, do you think it's possible that he could be under some kind of spell?"

"I don't think it's not. I mean what man, what Igbo man would let a woman call the shots? We all know how proud our people are, how family minded they are-"

"Let's not bring tribalism into this-"

"No, this is not just about tribes and ethnicity-"

"It actually is, trust me, this is an abomination to the Igbo culture. For a man to bring so much shame to his own family?"

"You're not even Igbo, what do you know about their culture-"

"We see it all the time. Take the likes of Ojukwu, Azikiwe and the rest, those men, in multiple occasions proved how much they valued the bond of family. Regardless of the tribe, no sane man would choose the path that Rafael has chosen for a woman that he barely even knows, if he's not indeed possessed. Isn't this the same thing that happened to that other family? The Silver's?"

"The Silvers were monsters, murderers-"

"No they weren't. Nothing bad ever came out of that family until that woman got married into it-"

"Mr Basil has a point Mrs Amadi, if you think about it carefully, none of this makes sense just like I said earlier it's really crazy that any of this is happening, especially since Rafael and Olivia aren't even married or share a child together. He has no reason to take her side."

"Except we are forgetting something, he is not just taking her side, he is not even her lawyer-"

"But his firm is representing her, he's as much on her side as the remaining idiots in the country that actually believe her cock and bull story. Accidents happen all the time, plus she was just a child when it happened, how can she be so sure that the Okonkwos have a hand in what happened?"