Chapter 65

"Sister Amarachi, don't forget that stuff we talked about o, the money for my graduation dress

"Sister Amarachi, don't forget that stuff we talked about o, the money for my graduation dress. Everyone in my class already got theirs, remaining me."

Amy turned back just to make sure no one was coming, placing her hand on top of her phone's screen like she was blocking the loud music from inside the club from getting through. It was even louder the moment the last lady that left the room with the small crowd didn't close the sound proof door after her.
At that rate, her cover was going to be blown, but she wished that it didn't in front of her baby sister.

After dodging her calls for two days, it only took an SOS text message to get Amy to worry about the situation at home and now she picked up, Nwakanma wasn't going to stop talking. Amy was getting really worried, she knew she needed to be back into the room working with the girls. She couldn't afford to let her supervisor catch her making personal calls on duty.

"I've heard you Kanma. I really need to go," Amy said over the phone in a whisper as she slowly turned back to face in front of her. Amy exhaled. "I would call you later okay?"

"No, not yet."

"What?" The frustration in her voice was evident. She really didn't have enough time to be on that call.

"Mum-C wants to talk to you."

"N-ow?"

"A-ma-ra-chi."
The way the hoarse voice from the other end of the phone drawled her name, Amy could already tell that Nwakanma had already put her mother on the phone before she even prepared herself for it. Now she couldn't hang up. Amarachi exhaled weakly, accepting her fate. It looked like she was going to be out there for a long time.

"Mama good evening."

"nke a ị naghị akpọ oku gị n'oge, why don't you take my calls Amara?"

"Come on mama," she said weakly. "You know it's not like that, I've just been busy these days with work and all. Besides, we just spoke last week."

"Hmmm."

She could hear her mother's loud exhale from the other end of the phone and could already guess what it was she wanted to say.

"When are you coming home Amarachi? When would you come and see your brothers and sisters? It's been ages. Your uncle Chigozie was asking of you the other day, I didn't even know what to tell him."

Amy scoffed.

"Asking of me? Why? Since when did that one start?"
She was suddenly irritated by the thought of it.

"It doesn't matter what happened in the past Amara, he is still your uncle, your father's brother and he is allowed to worry about you. Ever since you left from Abuja, it's like a part of us left with you. You have done all you can for your sister Olivia, shebi she is out of prison now, she is doing okay. Until when would you stop taking care of her and take care of yourself?"