Chapter 13

"I have placed him on anesthesia to ease the pain and help him rest better

"I have placed him on anesthesia to ease the pain and help him rest better. Hopefully he would be fine by morning, I don't think you have anything to worry about."

"Thank you."

Sommadina tried to exchange smiles with the nurse who had just finished attending to Nathaniel, right before she turned immediately to her father's almost lifeless body on the hospital bed. It had been hours since Nathaniel was rushed to the hospital after experiencing a stroke and he hadn't woken up yet. Anyone could see the terror on her face as she slowly reached for his hands, lowering her gaze to him so much so that she didn't notice the doctor and his nurse leave.

She was indeed terrified, she had a lot going through her head and the possibility of losing her father, the only parent she had left, was not a thinking she appreciated. A lot had happened over the years and somehow, she was able to gain back her father's trust. She couldn't help but wonder how a man, who was so powerful and so strong, could be subjected to such a state.

She let out a weak exhale, letting her attention dwell on him just as the door to the room opened slowly and Randal walked inside, cleaning his mouth with the back of his hands. He gestured to the maid so she didn't greet him so loudly. All he needed was to sneak into the room and blend himself into the scene without alerting Sommadina of his presence. He had no explanations to give to her as to why he was just arriving at the hospital.

The maid bowed and walked out of the room.
He walked to the bed, taking his time, narrowing his gaze on Nathaniel as he did with a frown covering half his face. It was almost as if she had recognized his presence with the way she gave her lips a downturn.

"Where have you been?"
She didn't even bother to look at him but he did, he raised his head in her direction.

"Did you not hear what happened to father?"

He cleared his throat.

"I should have been here sooner, I lost track of time at the meeting, and then got held in traffic."

"Which one?"

Silence.
She raised her head to him finally.

"Which of the meetings?" She asked him again.

"With investors, I needed to brief Ezikel on why he should invest in the new outlet, the new business I told you about, the one I wanted to create."

She held her breath, she couldn't believe it, she couldn't believe the lies, and she was tired of them. She was disgusted, but she couldn't even get upset, not when she had something else to be worried about, to be angry at. She let out a weak exhale.

"Ezikel Kanayo was just here." She said to him. "As a matter of fact, he brought us to the hospital the moment father fainted."

Randy froze.
Did that really happen? Had she found out that his excuse was false? Did she already know where he was?he was about to say something, as a matter of fact, he was searching for the right words just as he watched Sommadina rise from the bed she was sitting on slowly.