Chapter 63

"Is that all of them?"

Rafael asked Tony as he narrowed his gaze back to the bus that was filled with people from the village. Three hours at the police station and he was able to negotiate their release after fighting hard to defend his case that their arrest was uncalled for and an infringement of their rights.

As expected, the police never had a real reason for their arrest and Tony was definitely right about how desperate Randal had gotten to play a card like that right before trial.

The storm was over anyway and Rafael couldn't wait to get back to his day and his family. He turned back to  Tony who just stood there taking a head count. Tony's relief exhale and nod told Rafael just what he needed to hear.

"I think that's all of them that were arrested."

Rafael let out a relief exhale to release the tension on his shoulders as he turned back to the people in the bus. He let his eyes settle on the older man that sat close to the door with a dashing look of hope and relief in his eyes while he let himself smile brightly at Rafael.

"I am truly sorry about what happened to every one of you." Rafael told him, also referring to everyone in the bus as he raised his head to them at intervals. "I would keep working to ensure that this never repeats itself again. You don't have to worry." He took his gaze back to the old man.

"You all are safe now and would be taken back to your homes. We also made sure that provisions were made for breakfast since you barely got to eat anything all night. Sam here," Rafael turned to the driver that sat behind the steering. "He's going to take you all to the nearest restaurant where we've made the reservation. Please make sure to eat to your fill."

The cheering in the bus brought a huge smile on both Rafael and Tony's faces. It felt really good to see how the villagers were happy even after the terrifying ordeal they had been put through the night before. If there was one thing Rafael was grateful for, it was for them giving him the opportunity to fix the problem his family had caused, again.  He held his breath and narrowed his gaze to the older man that slowly reached for his hand, with his smile getting even brighter

"E Dupé," the man thanked Rafael. "fun ohun gbogbo, e Dupé."

Rafael's Yoruba was far from being perfect, as a matter of fact, it was extremely rusty but those words sounded really familiar. He could tell immediately that the old man was thanking him for his efforts to save them. Rafael slowly covered the elder's hands with his and nodded.

"Thank you for holding on." He told the man. "Till this very moment." He raised his head to the rest of the crowd in the bus.
"It might look like a long time from now, but we would get justice for all the things you all and your families have been through. I promise."

The cheering went on again just as one of the litigation officers Rafael had gone to the police station with started to close the door so the bus could take off quickly. The excitement in their voices, their look of hopefulness, it filled his heart with a lot of warmth even as the bus drove away.