Chapter 51

Trial day

Trial day.
The week had barely even started and it had to be the busiest day so far. Benita hummed the 'Amazing Grace' song as she opened up the windows so that Rafael's office could properly ventilate, before she moved on to dust the table like it wasn't already clean enough.

The house felt lonely with Lucy and the kids grocery shopping but she loved the peace and quiet she had, even if it was for a short moment. She appreciated how easy it was for her to go about her day and take care of the chores in the house without them getting in the way. There wasn't a lot to do anyway before they were all back, but she wanted to make sure that the house was comfortable enough for Rafael and Olivia when they got home.

The trial had put everyone on an edge, even Sommadina. She remembered how she sat up all morning, giving Sommadina a massage because she couldn't sleep. She remembered how Rafael worked in late, he had practically spent the entire night in his office, not like Olivia could sleep either. That day was going to determine a lot for them all and she knew just how important it was to at least keep the house in order before they returned. That was the little she could do to make the day better.

Benita slowly dropped the cleaning duster on the table when she heard the door bell ring, wondering if Lucy and the kids were home already and how they were back so early. It was impossible though for that to be any of them since Lucy had her fingerprint registered on the lock, they all did. They knew the password too so none of them needed to knock to be let in.

Benita heaved out a breath she didn't know she was holding as she scurried away, making her way to the front door, patient enough to wait till she got there to find out who it was. She took off the cover from the screen of the intercom system and narrowed her gaze to the tall figure standing outside in a black suit. She watched how he let his gaze stay on the door, moving his body back and forward in anxiety while he squeezed on his leather work bag.

"Hello?" Benita greeted after she pushed a button on the intercom. She watched how the young man who looked like he was in his early thirties shook uncontrollably at the sound of her voice and the smile that followed when he realized what was happening.

"Good morning ma." He said. "I'm here for Mr Okonkwo."

Benita frowned.

"He's not home. He's at the courtroom, he has trial this morning."

The man chuckled nervously and nodded his head.

"Yes ma'm, I know. He sent me to pick up some documents he forgot." He left his gaze on the door, not quite sure if that was where the camera was.
"I'm actually a lawyer at his firm," he said and then gasped. "Oh."
He reached for his bag and got out an ID card and raised it up so Benita could see.

Benita squinted her eyes at the plastic card in front of her. She wasn't exactly sure how to react to the claims the man at the door was making. She took a sharp breath and walked to the door. She opened it and stood aside,