Chapter 22

Olivia let out an exasperated sigh

Everything was a mess and it became even worse with every hour that had passed. She couldn't help but worry about Grace who had barely said a word to anyone, or left the door since they got downstairs.

It had been about two hours and she just stood right there, in front of the door waiting for the guests that looked like they weren't coming. Olivia could see how desperate Grace was, especially since she didn't stop sticking her neck out each time a car drove past the house, and showing disappointment when she found out that it wasn't a guest for her birthday.

Olivia slowly turned to Amy.

"Any luck?"

Amy shook her head. Olivia slowly turned to Lucy and she did the same. No one was responding, at least not positively. Olivia turned to the door, she could see how excited Tony was as he approached Grace from outside with a huge wrapped box in his hands. He came to a stop in front of her and gave her a soft pat on her head.

"Hello Grace," he gave her a kiss on her cheeks. "Happy birthday."

"Hello Uncle Tony." She said weakly with a frown and unending look of disappointment on her face, totally ignoring the gift he was handing to her. Tony furrowed his brows, finally noticing her mood while she stretched her head towards the sound of a moving vehicle. He looked inside the house, it looked like the mood was on everyone too. He walked in as quickly as he could.

"I thought this was supposed to be a celebration," he said as he approached the small group in the dining area. "What's with the funeral mood?" Lucy slowly took the box from him.

"Hello Tony." Olivia greeted as he lowered himself towards her to give her a kiss on her cheek. "Thank you for making it."

"Of course I did," he said. "I would never miss it for the world. Although it looks like it's only a few of us that feel that way." He looked around the room. "Where is everyone else." He let his gaze rest back on Olivia.

"Who knows." Amy cut in as she reached for the jug to pour herself a glass of water while Tony looked at her, not quite understanding what she meant. "Maybe they changed their minds."

"I-I don't understand." Amy rolled her eyes and drank from her cup of water. He slowly turned to Olivia. "There are only six guests outside," he told her. "I thought we made plans for thirty?"

Olivia let out a weak exhale. She didn't understand herself. She couldn't bring herself to understand how much of a coincidence it was that the parents of all the invited kids suddenly came up with an excuse as to why they couldn't make it anymore. It was either they came up with diarrhea, or they had no clothes to wear, or they suddenly had a family function that they needed to attend. The excuses were just the same.

Amy drew a breath of satisfaction as she dropped the cup on the table with a thud and cleaned her mouth with the back of her hands while Olivia lowered her gaze to her turned-off phone's screen.