Chapter 82

Two months later

Two months later

It was a lot to take in. Being there at that time, watching all those people celebrate and talk about things they knew nothing about, watching all those lighted candles in front of Sommadina and Randal's photos at the corner of the room burn out while people wrote their condolences in the big condolence book right after they had filled the memorial book beside it.

The house was filled with a lot of guests and Rafael could not count how many times he had heard the same words "sorry for your loss" all afternoon, even before they had arrived from the cemetery. He didn't imagine that Randal had that many friends and business partners of different races, from different countries, and spheres of the business world that had come to pay their respect.

He hated being in that house, he couldn't stand the cold that came with looking at every corner of what used to be his family's home. He couldn't stand the guilt that was eating him up from inside and it didn't matter how strong he tried to be, he just wasn't strong enough to understand it, to believe that she was actually gone. That they both were.

He had tried to get away from the crowd, he was sick of hearing and seeing people feel so sorry for him. It didn't look like sitting in the kitchen all by himself was any better. If he thought that the pain and trauma from being shot six times was anything compared to what he was feeling right now, it had to be the biggest lie he ever told himself.

Rafael exhaled, lowering his gaze to the half empty bottle of scotch in his hand.

"I Knew I'd find you here."

He scoffed the moment he recognized whose voice it was, raising the bottle again to his mouth and taking another large drink from it, while he waited for Ivory to find her way to him.

Even in her mourning dress, and veil, Ivory managed to look better than a lot of people who weren't even mourning. She had on these really huge black sunglasses to hide her horrible  eye bags . She was done with the condolences, the last thing she needed was drawing more attention to herself than she already got.

Just like Rafael, Ivory needed to get away from the crowd too. She needed her own quiet space, she had mourned for months and heard the same words over and over again, so much so that it was getting difficult for her to move on by the day. The media had had its fill with their family's name. There had been a lot of news and interview requests, conspiracy theories and what-nots. It was even hard going to grocery store on her own since what happened, she always somehow got to experience the worst media interruptions ever.

"I'd be needing this." She took the bottle from him and helped herself with a big drink from it. Rafael exhaled, turning away from the counter and leaning on it. He let his thoughts wander again. He was going to wait for her to finish, and when she did, she dropped the bottle on the counter with a loud thud and turned around to lean on it too.