Chapter 35

"I understand

"I understand. Thank you Kenneth."

Rafael lowered his phone from his ear. He raised both of his fingers towards his nose and gently rubbed his nose bridge. He had a headache and he could barely think of anything else except Olivia and the baby. It had been almost two hours since she was taken from him and he was yet to hear any updates about her and her condition.

The hall felt so cold, colder than he had ever felt anywhere and he couldn't help but pray that nothing had happened to them. If anything did, he didn't know what he was going to do.

"Rafael."

Amy's voice called him to spin around immediately, letting go of the breath of relief he had been holding and hurrying to the man in a white coat who had just walked out of the room Olivia was taken into. Grace was with Amy now and she held on to her tightly as she also made her way to the grey haired man approached them, leaving his gaze on Rafael who took the lead towards him.

"Mr Okonkwo." He nodded his head slowly the moment he had recognized who Rafael was.

"How is she?"

"She's stable, a bit exhausted but we were able to stop the bleeding."

Rafael held his breath as he took deep breaths of fresh air.

"What about the baby?" Amy asked. "Did anything happen-"

"The baby is fine." The doctor turned to her quickly. "The situation might have been different if she had not been attended to on time." He turned back to Rafael.

"I must say, we were really lucky. Usually, when women in their second trimester bleed as much as Ms Kalu did, it is often as a result of a miscarriage or a cervical disorder. She seems perfectly fine, she doesn't show any symptoms except maybe stress and a few other little things that the right medication can solve. I would suggest that she gives more attention to her stress levels, and overall health from now on."

Rafael nodded. He understood what the doctor had said and he was definitely going to do all he could to make sure Olivia had the most comfortable pregnancy after that.

"Can we see her?" Amy asked him.

"Actually, she's awake right now. She can also go home with you today. There's no need for an admission."

"Thank you doctor." Rafael stretched his hand to him for a handshake. "Really, this means a lot to me."

The man smiled and accepted his handshake.

"I would like to speak to you privately Mr Okonkwo."

Rafael nodded just as the doctor slowly pulled him away to the side while Amy and Grace made it to the door as fast as they could. Rafael lowered his gaze to the doctor the moment he was convinced that they had gone in safely, frowning the moment he had noticed the look of worry in the old man's eyes.