Chapter 81

"Paralysis?"

"Paralysis?"

Rafael could still remember the nod that followed from the doctor after he had said those words. He stood right there, in front of the door leading into the room while he watched Randal from inside. The little glass from the door gave him more view than he had initially speculated. He was holding back, he wasn't sure he was ready to see him yet, he wasn't sure if he could.

He watched how the doctors in the room were having his regular vital check up and it didn't look like Randal was fighting them anyway. At that point, it was obvious that he was going to do anything to be better again. He wanted to be better, anything to be back on his feet again.

"He suffered a stroke that led to the damage of the left side of his brain. This has caused equal damages to his nerves and muscles and has led to a severe case of Hemiplegia and Aphasia. Hemiplegia is a paralysis that affects one side of the body, in your father's case, his right side. Aphasia is a condition that has impacted his speech as well. As it is, we can not confirm when he can get back to his normal life but we can prescribe therapy as a foundational treatment for him. Your father has been through a lot the past few weeks Rafael, we are lucky that we were able to save him when we did. I would advice that he is kept under strict supervision, and away from any news or situation that can cause him to stress."

The doctor exhaled and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I know it has not been easy for you yourself seeing how you also just survived a near death experience. This is a trying period for your family and I pray that God gives you all the strength to overcome this somehow. I'm sorry once again for your loss. I truly am."

Rafael shut his eyes to think for a second. It didn't matter how many days that had passed, everything still felt the same. The news about his mother's death had taunted him ever since he got to hear about it. He was aware of the efforts of everyone around him to make him better but nothing ever did.

He narrowed his gaze on the bed in the room and watched how Randal just laid in there, in the most lifeless state he had ever seen him.

Why did she do it?
Why did she have to do something so stupid?
Why did she have to ever believe that her life was worth ending in that way?

Even until the end she chose him, she chose to die with him rather than leave him, than to let him go. It broke his heart just thinking about it, thinking about how hard he probably was on her, about the last moments that they had, the day when he had said all those terrible words to her. He wished he hadn't. He wished he had been patient enough to have that conversation with her, maybe if he did, he would have seen through her, he could have stopped her. He had been so dedicated trying to save Olivia and Grace that he had neglected the other part of his life that mattered. He had let his family down once again. It didn't matter how hard he ever tried to make things work, somehow, he just ended up pushing everyone to their deaths and the thought of it killed him more than any bullets in the world would have.