Useless

Y/n watched as Gojo approached the veil that hung over the tournament area.

She was alert. Her mind was racing with a thousand different strategies for how she was going to deal with this new threat.

She hadn't felt like this since she was 17. That feeling right before a mission where her emotions would quieten down and her senses would heighten.

One of the few things she reluctantly thankful for; her father had made her a very efficient soldier. The only thing that mattered right now was the mission. And it's success.

"I haven't seen that look in years," Gakuganji mused.

Y/n flicked her gaze towards him. He was watching her with a inscrutable expression.

"What do you mean?" She asked bluntly.

He merely shrugged, "You might not remember but I once was lucky enough to see you in action. I was even worried L/n-san had created too great of a weapon in his daughter."

He was pissing her off. Her fingers twitched.

"Would you like to find out?" she asked without any humour, turning to face him fully.

He calmly stared at her, "Threats? Something you and Gojo have in common."

Y/n was pulled away from her conversation by a sound not too different from electricity sparking.

She turned to see Gojo holding his hand out in front of him, it was smoking slightly. He'd failed to dispel the barrier. She moved closer to investigate.

"Wait," Utahime suddenly said.

They all turned to look at her.

Her hand was through the barrier, "Why can I go through but Gojo can't?" She looked distressed.

Gojo brought a hand to his chin in thought, "It would seem that this barrier allows anyone to pass in exchange for keeping Gojo Satoru out."

"This means..." Gakuganji started

"That we're dealing with a very powerful scorceror," Gojo finished, "And they have some intel on us."

"Alright. Let's not waste time. I'm going in. Satoru you can figure out how to get in," Y/n said quickly while moving towards the barrier.

Gojo grabbed her arm pulling her back, "No goodbye kiss?" He pouted.

His expression softened her a little, briefly taking her out of her focus on the mission.

She closed the gap between them to plant a soft kiss on his lips. She felt him smile.

"I like that you like me," he said, then he got serious, "Listen. If anyone tries to take you or if you feel like you can't handle it... just come to me okay? Find me."

She nodded.

He grinned and gave her another quick kiss, "Bye bye sweetie pie!"

She gave him a brief smile wondering how he could be so calm while the kids were in so much danger.

She turned to walk back into the veil.

******

Some guy wearing a butcher's apron stood before her. He turned to look at her.

"You're not Gojo," he seemed disappointed.

Y/n ignored him trying to locate the kids. She sniffed the air.

"But you'll make a pretty coat," he continued talking to himself.

Behind her she was aware of the old man and Utahime walk through the veil.