Baby Brother Or Baby Sister

You and Jack wanted to do something special for Paisley and Olive to find out if they were having a little brother or a little sister. You had recently attended a friend's gender reveal and both girls were both obsessed with the confetti cannons they used to reveal the baby's gender, so you decided to get some for them to pop.

You and Jack had found out the gender of the baby a couple days before you told the kids. While you wanted to find out all together, you wanted the girls to find out first before you told anyone else and someone had to buy the confetti cannons, so it just worked better that way.

You carried the confetti cannons outside, walking behind the girls who were running behind Jack, both excited to find out if they are having a little sister or brother. Jack was going to let the girls do the confetti inside until you reminded him you would be finding confetti for who knows how long. You sat the girls down on the couch you had out on the patio.

"Okay, you remember the colors, right?" You asked and Paisley nodded excitedly.

"Yes!" Olive yelled out.

"Pink for little sister, and blue for little brother." Paisley said and you nodded.

"And you know how you can tell, grandma, grandpa, your uncles, and all of Mommy and Daddy's friends about the baby, but you can't tell people we don't know about the baby?" Jack asked and the girls nodded. "You're going to help us tell people if you're getting a brother or a sister, but we still can't tell strangers, okay?"

"Like a secret." Olive said and Jack nodded.

"Exactly." You said. You and Jack were trying to keep the baby a secret for a little longer, which wasn't a problem when you two decided not to announce Olive's pregnancy right way, but Paisley was younger then. Now you had two kids, who were both older than Paisley was when Olive was born, so you were both a little nervous of something getting out.

"Liv, do you think you're getting a baby brother or baby sister?" Jack asked Olive.

"Sister!" Olive yelled, you and Jack glanced at each other.

"What do you think Paise?" You asked Paisley and she shrugged.

"I already have a sister, so I sort of want a brother." She said, whispering the last part so Olive didn't hear, making you and Jack laugh softly.

"Okay, Paisley, Daddy's going to help you and I'm going to help Olive." You told her and she nodded.

"On the count of three, okay?" Jack said and the girls nodded.

You all counted to 3 before setting off the confetti. Both girls jumping up and running underneath the blue confetti that was falling.

"A brother!!" Paisley cheered. As Olive became less distracted by the confetti falling, she burst into tears.

"I don't want a brother." Olive cried.

"Come here." You let Olive sit on your lap as you rubbed her back. "It's okay to be upset." You told her.

"I wanted a sister." Olive said.

"I know you did. I know you're upset, and that's okay." Jack told her. "But there are some positive to having a brother."

"Like what?" Olive asked, wiping her tears with the back of her hand, laying her head on your chest but looking at Jack,

"Well, for one, you and Paisley will still be the only princesses in the house." Jack told her.

"And Mommy." Olive said.

"Yes, and Mommy." Jack smiled at you.

"And Sadie." Paisley said, including your dog, who was currently inside so she didn't eat the confetti.

"Yeah, that's four princesses. That's a lot of princesses, I don't even think we could fit another princess in the house." Jack said, and Olive couldn't help but giggle.

"Plus, I'm already your sister." Paisley said, trying to comfort Olive as well. Olive thought for a few minutes.

"Daddy?" Olive asked Jack.

"Yes?"

"Are you and Mommy going to have another baby?" She asked, making you and Jack laugh softly, since she was so against you having a third baby just a short time ago.

"I don't know, but maybe." Jack told her.

"Mommy, can I have a sister next time? Since I'm getting a brother." Olive asked.

"Maybe, we'll try to give you another sister." You told Olive and she nodded happily. "You know what this means?" You asked.

"What?" Olive asked, looking at you.

"You know how sometimes you want to buy something for the baby, but we say not yet?" You asked and Olive nodded. "Now we can start shopping for the baby." You said and Olive and Paisley cheered.

"Can we go shopping now?" Paisley asked excitedly.

"How about we go tomorrow?" Jack suggested, and the girls nodded excitedly. Paisley went back to playing with the confetti.

"Mommy?" Olive whispered to you.

"Yes Liv?"

"Does this mean Daddy will stop asking me if I want to play soccer?" She whispered to you, and you laughed. Every time Jack and Paisley would play soccer, he would ask Olive if she wanted to play because the one time he didn't, she cried because he didn't ask her. Even though she always said no and hated soccer.

"What?" Jack asked, and Olive giggled.

"Nothing." She said before climbing off your lap, joining Paisley.