Infestation, Part Four

"Are we almost done here, Sulu!?"

"Almost there, Bones!" 

"Good! Uhura?"

"Duck's found James and Spock! They're on their way here!" Uhura reported. "I hope the two can last long enough, though. It looks like Kirk's been injured!" 

"We'll patch that up after this mess is over then! For now, Thor, how's the reinforcing going?!" He looked over at the Asgardian, who had just finished putting the final glass panel into place, allowing Shang-Chi to use his mystical energy to seal them in tight. "We're done here!" 

"Great! Let's get out of here then! The rest is up to Duck and the other two..." Bones muttered that final bit to himself as they rushed to a nearby room, fortified to keep them safe from immense power coming from various superheroes. The waiting game had begun. 

His grip on the remote for the gas release tightened. He had to be ready at any time for Duck's signal on the cameras; the moment they passed the hallway where the three had been hit with the gas, located a kilometer away from the lab itself. 

It explained the huge gas leakage, at the very least. 

Uhura tried to remain calm, but her hands betrayed her trepidation, fearing for the three. What if they couldn't save them in time? What if the plan failed? There was no Plan B here; this was the only plan they could come up with on the spot that wouldn't cause casualties. 

Sulu was feeling the same way, but his tremors were a lot more pronounced as he snapped his fingers from time to time. As much as he wanted to hope for the best, he still had to consider what could go w-wrong....

N-No, wait. He had to remain calm. They could not have any mistakes here. Everything had to be on time. 

Taking in a deep breath, he breathed. Uhura did the same as they readjusted their positions. They had been with this crew for a very long time. They would not falter now, with how high the stakes were! They would come out of this alive and well! All of them! 

Meanwhile, Duck could already feel the strain. With all the training he had done for this, it still didn't do much to help his stamina. 

"You seem exhausted, Duck," Spock's voice made him look over to one of his parental figures, who was frowning even as they ran (well, flew for Duck, but the point remained valid.) through the hallways. 

"This has been a very, very horrible birthday," he answered, but his tone became determined. "But I'm still going to do my best to rescue all the people!" 

Kirk chuckled from his other side as he said, "Kid, you're really something, y'know that?" 

"Who do you think helped me become that something?" Duck teased back, those bright eyes filled with mirth. "You guys did a lot to help me, so it's high time I start paying you guys back." 

The two shared a surprised glance, but smiles formed as despite the crazy situation, the two laughed. They had, hadn't they? They had helped this kid become someone beyond his wildest dreams, taking the potential they had been presented with and working it into him, allowing him to choose how he used the energy. It had been Duck who built up his own attack repertoire but they had given him the foundations to nurture that talent of his. 

"Well, when the kid puts it that way we really can't say no, can we?" Kirk snorted.

"Do not feel indebted to us, Duck. You have come here because of your own hard work, and we are simply grateful that you did not waste what we have taught you," Spock said to him with a soft smile.