The Sacrifices are Painful yet Never Forgotten, Part Eight: The Final Challenge!

Victory Road wasn't all that hard. While the trainers weren't as tough as they thought they would be, it took time to get used to their levels. Once they did, it was smooth sailing for the beginning part. 

Eliza didn't let her guard down, though, because, at the end of the rows of trainers, they would begin the fight against the Elite Four and the Champion herself. 

They reached the waiting room before the first Elite Four battle room earlier than expected, and so it was time to recharge before the battle. 

Eliza inhaled and mentally prepared herself for what was bound to be the toughest battle of her life. She had her potions ready, her team was healed and ready too.

But all the previous battles had reminded her that no matter how prepared someone could be for a battle, the tables could turn with a single attack. When one's speed was outmatched by the other, or when someone who had a type advantage... it could all happen and she would be powerless to stop it. 

No, I can't give up now, she gripped her fists. She wasn't about to lose this. Not when there was so much... 

Zap, Crystal, Eclipse, Volt, and Chomps...

Their sacrifices had come down to this. She wasn't about to go down and let their deaths be in vain. 

She closed her eyes, and opened them before she stepped closer to the door. It was time to start the final battle... to finally reach the end of the road, the boss battle. 

Aaron and Bertha were defeated quickly, since Eliza didn't want to waste anything. Then it was the Fire-type Trainer Flint. Marylin the Floatzel was a Water-type, though, and so she could overtake the Fire-types easily, giving them the win and bringing them closer to the Champion. 

The final Elite Four member, Lucian, who specialised in Psychic-types, had been the hardest of them all, but with Kuro's newly taught Steel Wing as a counter to Mr. Mime, Espeon, Bronzong, Alakazam and Gallade, they took him down. He took the loss with grace, warning her of the final fight ahead. 

Not that Eliza didn't know that, of course. 

"Well, well, so you must be the Eliza I've heard so much about," Cynthia said as Eliza stepped into the room, her entire team right beside her. "And that's your team, I presume." 

"Yeah," she answered, standing in the podium as she spoke. "It's an honour to finally battle against you, Champion Cynthia." 

"Likewise, but let's see how far you can go," Cynthia took out a Pokeball as Eliza readied herself. "Prepare yourself, Challenger!" 

She had probably meant physically and mentally, because Cynthia was downright cruel. The battle against Fantine seemed so small compared to... this massacre. 

The first one to fall was of course the first she chose, Viva. 

"Spiritomb, use Destiny Bond!" 

"SPIRIIIIIIIIIITTOOOOOOOMMMMBBBBB!" 

"VIVA! NO!" 

"W-Weavile..." Viva weakly smiled at Eliza, tears streaking down her face as she held out a thumbs up before she closed her eyes, and her hands went limp. 

She had been trying to comfort her...

Trying to stay undeterred, she sent out Mercury the Rhyperior, the latest addition, and he took out the Spiritomb with a few hits. 

"Huh... You took down my Spiritomb," Cynthia remarked quietly. "That's only one of six, though. Come on out, Roserade!" 

Eliza couldn't switch Mercury out, because when she tried to counter, the Roserade was faster and took him down.