The Sacrifices are Painful yet Never Forgotten, Part Five: Healing Comes Slowly

Returning to Veilstone City was the course of action Eliza eventually took. They couldn't take on the Canalave Gym. Not yet, at least. Someone had died, and it proved to Eliza that they needed more training. She couldn't risk it. She wouldn't, she COULDN'T lose anyone else.

She quickly told the team this, and they all nodded and gave their affirmations before they split up, much to her confusion.

Everyone was taking this chance to do different things, she eventually recognized. For instance, Blair and Kuro were focusing on training. With precise commands that Eliza had eventually mastered, the two managed to take down opponents quickly. Eliza was refining her techniques with them, and she knew why they were doing this; to protect their family members, at all costs. They were not about to lose anyone else. If they could protect them to the end of their lives, so be it. They would fight to the bitter end. 

They kept on going, no matter how much their bodies screamed for rest.

Marylin and Eugene stationed themselves in the hotel, which Eliza was really grateful for. Viva had refused to leave her Pokeball ever since the death, and the two had taken it upon themselves to watch her and try to convince her to come out after Eliza attempted and failed to get her out. It broke her heart, seeing how pained she was about the loss of her friend. It wasn't as bad as Volt's per se, but that had been because they had spent time together for a shorter period of time. Viva and Volt had been friends for way longer. 

Chomps the Gabite was now part of her team, so she had to train her up. Thus, the Gabite bonded with Blair and Kuro as they worked to get stronger together in order to ensure no more losses. Their main practice gym? The Pokemon Gym of the city. Battles against Maylene and her Trainees taught Eliza more tricks than before, reminding her to have an open mind in every battle; that the tables could be turned around faster than one could say "No!". She got humble, and understood that everyone lost friends, but moving forward was the most important, the crucial part of being a Trainer. 

However, her Pokemon put her on a break once she began to run on nonexistent fuel, so her next choice was to spend time with her Pokemon. After all, Maylene had a great relationship with her team, and they shared a goal, a bond. 

The first one ended up being Blair, and it had been completely unplanned. The two had been walking back after some training, watching Chomps and Kuro rush ahead back to camp as they chatted excitedly. 

"Infernape," she suddenly felt a tug on her shirt, and looked down to see the Infernape point sideways. They were nearing camp, anyway, so they wouldn't be in danger. 

"Alright then," she understood that he wanted some alone time with her, so she called out, "Kuro, Chomps, go ahead! Blair and I will catch up!" 

"Thim!" 

"Bite!" 

Once she heard them say okay to her words, she spun around and followed him to the riverside, where she joined her starter Pokemon in dipping their feet into the river. 

"In..." Blair suddenly spoke up. 

"Zap?" Eliza repeated. "What... what about Zap?" 

"Infernape, nape nape fernape," she answered. "Infer, Napenape, fer.... In."

"I know..." she closed her eyes. "You're fighting for them, aren't you, Blair?" 

"In..." Blair said. "Infernape infer." 

"You... you think that maybe the sacrifices were not worth the pain?..." she asked. 

"In..."

"...Maybe... it is, but you know... we can't turn back time. We can only step forward and become better and better," she lied down on the grass as she looked up to the sky. Before she had set off on her journey, it was a habit of hers to look up and count the stars, admiring the view from her home.