Chapter 27: Stand your Ground.

"Before the time of Humanity. There were the Godssssssss." An-ru began. "They had created the World asssssssss we all knew it. But then they wisssshed to create a race that would inherit their power. Or in your tongue. Magic."  

Sean knew some of the tale himself. But he had never heard of the Lizardfolk before.

"Before Humanity wasssssss given the ssssssacred gift of the Godsssss, they had looked for a sssssssssuitable canditate. One of them being the great Ssssacred Treessssss. And from thossse treesssssssss. Our Race wassssss born. And we posssssessssed the gift of Ka." An-ru explained. 

Poppy blinked her eyes. "That would mean Magic by your tongue." An-ru clarified.

"Oh, okay. Keep going." Poppy insisted.

"Our people prosssspered." An-ru said. "And we knew of no trouble. Our Civilization ruled over the Junglesssssss and the Sssssswampssssss of the World." He began to think of the Jungles of the World. From Africa, South America, Central America, and Southeast Asia, and India. "But then came Humanity. They began essssstablisssshing their own Kingdomsssssss, their Empiresssssss, and both of our People were on a collisssssssion courssssse. Sssssssssorry. The sssssss in your launguage are hard to pronounce." 

"Oh, it's quite alright, Mr. An-ru, sir. Please continue." Professor Weasley insisted.  

"Thank you." An-ru thanked. "Now. Asssssss I wassssss ssssssaying. "For the firssssst few centuriessssss... we enjoyed peaceful relationsssship. But asssssss Humanssssss grew and sssssso did their World. Oursssssssss wasssssss dying. The world wasssssss changing. It would be a world that only Humansssssss could thrive in and ssssssso too their Ka. Our World and our people were dying out. And by the time of your Golden Age of Ka. Our realmssssss of what you call the Americassssss and Africa were dying in ssssssslow decay. Only the landsssssss to the Eassssst are all that isssss left of usssss." He had said. With every breath thinking about what his old life had been for his people.

"That's so sad to hear." Poppy commented.

"I do not need your pity, nor your ssssssympathy. All Creaturesssss have a Dawn and they have a dusssssk. Ourssssss jussssssst happened to have a dussssssk asssss humanity began their dawn." An-ru explained. 

"By Merlin." Professor Weasley said taking it all in. 

"Of the Lizardfolk that are left. There are only 10,000." An-ru explained. "My land liesssss in the Junglesssss and Ssssswampssss. I, in particular come from a land that you call Borneo." 

"So, how did you end up here in Britain?" Sean asked.

An-ru's expression turned dark. "I wassssss sssssstolen from my home." He answered. "Poachersssssss and other Dark Humanssssss hunt ussss down. We are an endangered sssssspeciessssss and that makessss usssss more valuable to them. In other wordssssssss, we are hunted for Prophet by Humansssss." 

"And the Government of French Indochina just allows that?" Poppy asked in disbelief. "Surely the French Ministry is-"

"Paid off by the Poacherssssss profit. Perssssssonally, I believe they approve of it asssssss a meanssssss of controlling usssssss sssssso they can remain in power." An-ru interrupted.

"That doesn't shock me." Sean said. 

"6 yearsssssss ago, I wasssss captured along with 5 otherssssss. Locked away, and sssssshiped off to who knew where. 2 of ussssss were sssssold to Poachersssssss in India. The ressssst of usssss came here. The other 3 were killed in their fighting Dragon Fighting Pittssssss. It isssss the ssssame fate that would have befallen me, had the one you call, Ssssssssean Cormag not ssssssaved me." An-ru continued.