Chapter 14: The First Trial.

It was far easier to fly over the Forbidden Forest rather than go through it and have to deal with all the Acromantulas and other things that lived in the Forest. "I like having a broom, Sarah." Sean declared. Before, he would have to walk to get to his destination. Now he could cover the distance in half the time. 

"Well. I'm glad that it all worked out for us in the end." Sarah commented. She had been mostly silent for most of the flight. 

"What?" Sean asked.

"I think I'd prefer a broom of my own." Sarah answered. "Not sure how I feel about this whole double broom riding." 

"Fair enough." Sean figured. "I probably should've taken a deal for 2 brooms." He looked at Sarah again. "But that's not the reason why you're silent, is it?" 

"No." Sarah admitted. "I don't understand something. You said before that Ranrok was able to use the power of Ancient Magic, or Old Magic, or whatever it's called." 

"Yes. I saw him do it in Gringotts. On a Goblin too. And those Trolls that we encountered in Hogsmeade-" Sean confirmed. 

"The ones that emitted that strange Red Glow you said you saw?" Sarah asked. 

"They were controlled by Ranrok. Of that I'm certain." Sean answered. Looking below them, they could see the green leaves of the Forbidden Forest that were obscuring the darkness below.

"You think this could be... the same type of Ancient Magic that you saw in Azkaban?" Sarah asked. 

"No." Sean shook his head. "I've had some time to think on it. I think those were two different types of Magic. The Magic I saw in Azkaban wasn't like the one that I encountered in the Restricted Section. So on the plus side, we won't have to go back to Azkaban." 

"I don't want to go back to Azkaban at all." Sarah said. "For any reason. It's not a place I would wish on my worst enemy. I wish Eldritch Diggory didn't get Dragon Pox. That way he could reform Azkaban. Without the Dementors running the place." 

"And Erathor too." Sean added. Deciding to change the subject to something a little more fun, Sean took a look back. "Say... Sarah. Maybe we'll be able to get your own broom from that Albie Weeks guy in Hogsmeade that Imelda was going on about. Sound good?" 

"I'll take that offer, Sean." Sarah answered. "You know, you raced well against Imelda's record." 

"Thanks." Sean thanked. "Mother always said that I was a fast learner. I can't explain it. I just do it." 

"Well, you do it very well." Sarah noted. "No wonder you're a Ravenclaw. And using the Flute against Imelda. That was bloody brilliant."

"Always think outside the box, Sarah. That's the true Hufflepuff way." Sean commented.

Sarah laughed. "I'll say this, Sean. I was worried after Sebastian and I... parted ways so to say... that I would be without a good friend. Besides my Dormmates at any rate. Adelaide, Poppy, and the others are great... but I feel like there's more people I can interact with. Including with other Houses." 

"Well, from the way things are sounding... you and Natty get along fine, with Natty being a Gryffindor. And... isn't Garreth a Gryffindor too? Even though he's not successful at asking you out on a date?" Sean pointed out.

"Well, that's true." Sarah admitted. "Gareth's a nice guy. He really is. And he means well. But I'm just not sure he's boyfriend material." 

"Eh..." Sean shrugged.

"But I must say, Sean. You seem to have adapted to life here pretty good. And you're making friends with other people." Sarah also added.

"It's still a beginning phase for me, Sarah. Friends come and go." Sean replied. The truth was that Sean was happy to be friendly with people, but he didn't know if that counted as friends. And there were still people who discriminated against him for being a Celt. Especially the Headmaster. Though to have friends... it made Sean... a little hesitant. If he became friends with British People? Was he integrating to the side of Britannia and not upholding the sacred values of the Celts? He didn't know. But still. To be friends with others... it made Sean feel happy.